- Consuelo Thiers
- Politics and International Relations School of Social and Political Science University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- +44 (0) 749 156 0106
- Research Interests
- Political psychology, Foreign Policy Analysis, Latin American Foreign Policies, At-a-distance personality assessment of political leaders
Not quite a Pacific Ocean: the role of leader's beliefs in the context of South American enduring rivalries
My research focuses on the analysis of the influence of political leaders in foreign policy decision-making processes. More specifically, the aim of this project is to assess the role of political leaders’ beliefs in the life cycle of two South American enduring rivalries; Bolivia-Chile and Chile-Peru. The method to perform the analysis is based on the use of the at-a-distance personality assessment technique. This technique has been developed to carry out evaluations of political leaders' personality and relies on the idea that psychological characteristics can be assessed through a systematic analysis of what leaders say. Within the wide-ranging variety of these sort of procedures, I will utilise the cognitive Operational Code framework. This approach intends to determine decision-makers’ philosophical and instrumental beliefs concerning the nature of the political universe and their preferences regarding the political action.
M.A in International Studies, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile.
Dissertation: “Latin American Political Leaders: A study of personality at-a-distance”
B.A in Psychology, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile.
Teaching and research experience
- Research Assistant for Dr Sebastien Dubé, Universidad de Santiago de Chile. Assisted in carrying out an investigation project related to the analysis of integration processes in Latin America, using concepts of social psychology (2015-2016)
- Lecturer in Psychological Assessment, Universidad SEK, Department of Psychology. Santiago, Chile (2014 – 2016)
- Lecturer in Psychological Assessment, Universidad UNIACC, Department of Psychology. Santiago, Chile (2012 – 2016)
- Lecturer in Personal Development, Universidad Autónoma de Chile, Department of Early Childhood Education. Santiago, Chile (2013 – 2015)
- Lecturer in Learning Psychology, Universidad Chileno-Británica de Cultura, Department of Education. Santiago, Chile (2013)
- Lecturer in Learning Psychology and Psychological Development, Universidad Iberoamericana de Ciencia y Tecnología, Department of Education. Santiago, Chile (2011 – 2013)
- Politics and International Relations Career Development PhD Scholarship (2016-2018)
- Thesis research grant, Universidad de Chile (2012).
Dubé, Sebastien & Thiers, Consuelo (2017). Social Group Dynamics and Patterns of Latin America Integration Processes. Revista de Estudios Sociales, (60). 25-35. https://dx.doi.org/10.7440/res60.2017.02
Thiers, C. [Review of the book Latin America’s Leaders by R. Diamint & L. Tedesco]. Political studies review. (In press; expected November, 2017)
Spanish - native speaker
English - fluent
International Studies Association- ISA
Latin American Studies Association- LASA
International Society of Political Psychology- ISPP
Society for Latin American Studies-SLAS