- Francesco Bertoldi
- Politics and International Relations School of Social and Political Science University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Scotland
- Research Interests
- Territorial politics, Nationalism and Devolution, Elections, Ethnic conflict, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Power-sharing agreements, Electoral Systems in Divided Societies, Identity Politics, Social Identity Theory, Discourse Analysis, Ethnicity and Identity
Dr Wilfried Swenden, University of Edinburgh
Professor Ailsa Henderson, University of Edinburgh
Threatened Communities and Ethnic Guardians. Radical Voting and Political Campaigning in Northern Ireland
ESRC +2 Studentship - Politics and International Relations (2016-2018)
"Celso Ghini" National Award for the best thesis on electoral issues in the academic year 2011/2012. Award granted by the Italian Society for Electoral Studies (SISE).
Bertoldi F. (2016) Change beneath the surface: the 2016 Northern Ireland Assembly election, Regional and Federal Studies, 26:4, 569-584
2018 - "Catch-us" if you Can. Electoral Ground Games in an Ethnically Segregated Arena, Presentation at the 28th ASEN Annual Conference, LSE, London
2017 - Segregated Narratives: Communal Separation and Political Campaigning in Northern Ireland, Presentation at the PSA 67th Annual International Conference, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow
Teaching & Research Experience
2016 - Visiting Research Associate at Queen's University Belfast, School of Politics, International Studies and Philosophy
2016 - Postgraduate Assistant to the PIR Postgraduate Advisor
2016 - Teaching Assistant, Scotland and Wales Vote 2016: Understanding the Devolved Elections (MOOC), University of Edinburgh
2015 - Research Assistant, Elitist Scotland, UK Social Mobility and Child Poverty Commission & David Hume Institute, Edinburgh. The study looked at the educational background of people holding positions of power and influence in Scotland.
2015 - Teaching Assistant, Understanding the UK's 2015 General Election (MOOC), University of Edinburgh
A.Y. 2010/2012 MA (Distinction), Political Science - University of Florence, Italy
A.Y. 2005/2008 BA (Distinction), Communication and Journalism - University of Trieste, Italy
Relevant Work Experience
- Feb 2018 - Present: Assistant Editor of Regional & Federal Studies
- May 2016 - Present: Policy Officer in the Scottish Government's European Relations Team.
- May 2014 to Dec 2015: Elections and Events Officer at the Consulate General of Italy in Edinburgh, serving Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Memberships and Other Activities
Member of the Territorial Politics Research Group, University of Edinburgh
Member of European Consortium for Political Research
Member of the Conflict Research Society
Member of Association for the Study of Ethnicity and Nationalism