- Kitty Chou
- Politics and International Relations School of Social and Political Science University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Scotland EH8 9LD
- +44 (0) 744 951 4023
- Research Interests
- Counterterrorism, Terrorism, Political violence, political psychology, Research Ethics, qualitative and mixed methods research projects using in-depth interviews
I am originally from Honolulu, Hawaii although I have resided in Edinburgh since 2012. My research interests are concentrated in terrorism and counter-terrorism, security studies, political violence, and the psychological and sociological effects of terrorism on the everyday lives of ordinary individuals.
Dr. Andrew Neal (Politics) Dr. Lotte Buch-Segal (Anthropology)
My doctoral thesis investigates the effects of terrorism on political views, using the 2017 Manchester Arena bombing as a case study. Methodologically, both semi-structured and group interviews will be used to collect data from individuals affected by the arena bombing.
2016 — MA (Hons) International Relations (University of Edinburgh)
- Dissertation: "Individual Mobilisation into Armed Political Movements: The Case of Sinn Féin and the IRA, 1964-1998: A Political Psychology Perspective"
2017 — MLitt Terrorism and Political Violence (University of St. Andrews)
- Dissertation: "Terrorism as Psychological Control in Totalitarian States: The Case of State Terrorism in Nazi Germany, 1933-1945"
2019: International Co-operation in Europe and Beyond (PLIT08006)
2020: Political Thinkers (PLIT08011)
Guidance and Feedback Hours for Students
Please e-mail me at email@example.com to arrange an appointment.