- Talia Shoval
- Politics and International Relations School of Social and Political Science University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh UK
- Research Interests
- Just war theory, Environmental ethics, Justice and non-human animals, Non-anthropocentrism, Ecofeminism, Political Ecology, Political Theory, Moral philosophy, Applied ethics
Environmental Ethics in Just War Theory
'The Nature of War: Incorporating Environmental Ethics in the Ethics of War'
I am a PhD candidate in Politics (Political Theory) at the University of Edinburgh. My research project focuses on the interplay between environmental ethics and the ethics of war. I am interested in exploring the ethical relations between humans beings and the non-human environment in the context of war and armed conflict. More specifically, my project explores the implications of incorporating environmental ethics in the Just War framework. I aim to reassess Just War Theory by using radical, non-anthropocentric perspectives in environmental ethics.
Political Theory Research Group, University of Edinburgh
Graduate Fellow of CRITIQUE - Centre for Ethics and Critical Thought
- 2019-present - PhD, Politics (Political Theory), University of Edinburgh.
- 2016-2018 - M.A., Political Science (Political Theory and International Relations ) (Summa Cum Laude), Tel-Aviv University.
- 2013 - Exchange Programme, Globalization and Sustainable Development, Venice International University.
- 2011-2014 - B.A., Political Science and Media Studies (Magna Cum Laude), Tel-Aviv University.
Awards and Scholarships
- 2020 - Alice Brown PhD Scholarship (2020-2024)
- 2018 - Excellence scholarship (M.A. Political Science), Tel-Aviv University.
- 2016-2018 - M.A. Full Tuition Scholarship (M.A. Political Science), Tel-Aviv University.
- 2012 - Dean's list (B.A. Political Science & Media Studies), Tel-Aviv University.
Conference Presentations and Invited Talks
- 2020 - 'In Defence of Nature: Environmental Just Causes for the Use of Force', Political Theory Research Group, University of Edinburgh (Online).
- 2020 - Discussant in the joint Royal Society of Edinburgh/Royal Institute of Philosophy annual lecture by Professor Dale Jamieson on 'the Misunderstood Risks of Climate Change' (Online).
- 2020 - 'The Nature of War: Incorporating Environmental Ethics in the Ethics of War', Mancept Workshop on Just War in an Unjust World (Online).
- 2020 - 'Moral Naturalism, Environmental Ethics and Just War: Should Natural Facts Inform out Ethical Relations with the Non-Human World in the Context of War?', European Consortium for Political Research, Summer School on Political Epistemology (Online).
- 2019 - 'Environmental Ethics in Just War Theory', International Association of Military Ethics in Europe Conference, Vienna.
Teaching and Work Experience
- 2020-Present - Tutor, 'Political Thinkers' (Dr Elizabeth Cripps & Dr Mihaela Mihai).
- 2020 - Tutor, 'Introduction to Politics and International Relations' (Dr Stephen Hill, Dr Marc Geddes), University of Edinburgh (Online)
- 2020-present - Senior Editor of Strife , King's College London.
- 2018-2019 - Teaching Assistant, 'Dilemmas in Modern Warefare' (Professor Tamar Meisels), Tel-Aviv University.
- 2018-2019 - Lecturer, 'Introduction to Political Theory', Unit for Science Oriented Youth, Tel-Aviv University.
- 2018-2019 - Research Assistant for Dr Julie Cooper in a project on Jewish Political Thought, Tel-Aviv Univerisity.
- 2018-2019 - Professional Supervisor, Unit for Science Oriented Youth, Tel-Aviv University, Tel-Aviv University.
- 2017-2019 - Member of Editorial Board, 'The Public Sphere Journal', The School of Political Science, Government and International Relations, Tel-Aviv University.
- 2017-2019 - Tutor, 'Contemporary Political Thought' (Professor Tamar Meisels, Dr Golan Lahat), Tel-Aviv University.
- 2016-2019 - Tutor, 'The Israeli Political Regime' (Professor Amal Jamal, Dr Yael Shomer), Tel-Aviv University.
- 2016-2017 - Tutor, 'Introduction to International Relations' (Dr Uriel Abulof), Tel-Aviv University.