- Lilian Kennedy
- Social Anthropology School of Social and Political Science University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh UK
- Research Interests
- Memory, Subjectivity and Personhood, Dementia, Care, Love, time and temporality, Family relationships, Kinship and relatedness, STS, GPS tracker technology, NHS
Finding and Remaking the Self in Dementia: an investigation of care in London.
Finding and Remaking the Self in Dementia: an Investigation of Care in London.
Prof. Janet Carsten, Dr. Stefan Ecks
2014 - present PhD, Social Anthropology
University of Edinburgh
2013 - 2014 Masters by Research, Medical Anthropology (Distinction)
University of Edinburgh
Supervisors: Prof Janet Carsten, Dr Stefan Ecks
2006 - 2010 Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology (High Honors)
University of Califronia, Berkeley
Supervisors: Prof Nancy Scheper-Hughes,
Prof Sharon Kaufman
2017, In Somatosphere, co-author: "Who Cares? A Discussion on Care from Edinburgh’s Centre for Medical Anthropology"
Kennedy, Lilian. "Unforgotten Love And The Culture Of Dementia Care In India". Contemporary South Asia 23.1 (2015): 87-88. Web. 2 June 2016. (Book Review)
Honours & Awards
(2017) FfWG Foundation Main Grant (BFWG Charitable foundation)
(2014) Social Anthropology Award
(2014) Social and Political Science Graduate School International Award
(2014) College of Humanities and Social Science Research Scholarship
Social Anthropology 1B, Social Anthropology, University of Edinburgh
Anthropological Theory, Social Anthropology, University of Edinburgh
Fundamentals : Anthropological Practice, Social Anthropology, University of Edinburgh
Health, Ethics, and Society, Medical School, University of Edinburgh
- "Chronological Breakdown in Dementia Narratives: a case for ethnography" : 2017 American Anthropological Association Conference, November 29 - December 3 in Washington, D.C.
- "The ‘Good Life’ in Dementia: An Investigation of Care Practices in the Relational Spaces of Family Life" : 'Bodies in Transition - Power, Knowledge and Medical Anthropology' EASA Medical Anthropology Network, 2017 Biannual Conference Network Meeting, 5-7 July, Lisbon, Portugal
- MAYS 8th Annual Meeting (co-organiser), 'Medical Anthropology Beyond Academic Borders' 15 - 16 June 2017, University of Edinburgh
- "Critical Medical Anthropology in the Ethnographic Process" :'Critical Medical Anthropology: making it work for policy, wellbeing and welfare,' Oaxaca City, Mexico from 16 - 20 January, 2017. (Under the Researcher Links scheme offered within the Newton Fund and British Council)
- "Finding and Remaking the Self in Familiar Dementia Carework", at the conference 'Entangled Kinship Spaces : Ethnographic approaches of contemporary public and intimate (re)configurations', Oct 20 & 21, 2016, University of Liege, Belgium
- "Who is the 'who' in Dementia?", at 'Who cares? : A Symposium on Care in Medical Anthropology' (co-organiser) 11th May 2016, University of Edinburgh
MAYS Coordinator (Medical Anthropology Youth Scholars),
- within EASA (European Association of Social Anthropologists) - current
SoMA Representative (Students of Medical Anthropology),
- within EdCMA (Edinburgh Centre for Medical Anthropology) - current
Scottish Government PhD Internship (Sept - Dec 2016)
- Health and Social Care Analysis Division, Project: "Evidence to support policy and practice development for Carers (Scotland) Act 2016"