- Ritti Soncco
- Social Anthropology School of Social and Political Science University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom EH8 9LD
- Research Interests
- Medical Anthropology, Veterinary Anthropology, Zoonoses, zoonotic disease control, Environmental anthropology, Science and technology, visual anthropology, anthropology of landscape, art, advocacy, patient rights, patient advocacy, Lyme disease, Scotland, coronavirus
Geographies of Tolerance: On the Visibility and Invisibility of Lyme Disease in Scotland (working title)
The Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland
2018 - present: PhD in Social Anthropology
University of Edinburgh
2017 - 2018: Master of Science in Medical Anthropology (Distinction)
University of Edinburgh
Supervisor: Professor Ian Harper
2013 - 2017: Master of Arts in Anthropology (1st Class)
University of Aberdeen
Supervisor: Dr Arnar Arnason
- Soncco, R. (2020) "What can we learn from those self-isolating due to coronavirus?" in The National.
- Soncco, R. (2020) "Lessons for self-isolation from chronically ill patients" in Somatosphere and Consciously Quarantined, Medical Anthropology University College London.
- Soncco, R. (2019) "Canine, et al. Coauthoring research with my companion animal" in Medicine Anthropology Theory.
- Soncco, R. (2017) "Rethinking Health and Species Borders in the Zika Virus" in The International Academic Journal
- Soncco, R. (2016) "The Politics of Plant Magic: A Discussion of Knowledge Production and Knowledge Ownership in Peruvian Ayahuasca Tourism" in The Elphinstone Review Journal, University of Aberdeen
- COVID 19 Perspectives university blog curator and writer for CAHSS (College of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities) (2020)
- SoMa Representative (Students of Medical Anthropology) within Edinburgh Centre for Medical Anthropology (2018-2019)
- Conference Convenor. 'Worlds Beyond Us' Annual SoMA Symposium. University of Edinburgh (2018)
- Student Reporter for Tropentag 2018 (University of Ghent). Hired and trained in journalism and conference reporting by ATSAF e.V. (Council for Tropical and Subtropical Agricultural Researc) (2018)
- Soncco, R. (2019) "Geographies of Tolerance: The Invisibility of the Lyme Disease Epidemic in Scotland". 3 Minute Thesis & Poster Presentation, Edinburgh Infectious Diseases Annual Symposium 2019.
- Soncco, R. (2019) "A Geography of Tolerance: The Un-Making of the Lyme Disease Epidemic in the Scottish Highlands". Advanced Workshop for Anthropological Research on Health, Medicine and Well-Being. Durham University.
- Soncco, R. (2019) "A Geography of Tolerance: The Making or Un-Making of the Lyme Disease Epidemic in the Scottish Highlands". Worlds Beyond Us Symposium, Students of Medical Anthropology (SoMA). University of Edinburgh
- Soncco, R. (2018) "This Is Not A Pipe: What Surrealist Art Can Teach Medical Anthropology". Medical Anthropology Young Scholars (MAYS) 9th Annual Meeting. Freie Universitat Berlin.
- Soncco, R. (2018) "It was Good Form To Die Before the Age of 30: How the Arts Constructed Moral Boundaries in the Plague and Tuberculosis". The State and Morality 1864-1964, ECA and PGR Interdisciplinary Symposium. University of Newcastle.
- Guest Lecturer: 'Art and Contagion' in Contagion (2018), Professor Ian Harper
Other Projects and Experience
- Aerial silks and partner acrobalance instructor at various studios in United Kingdom (ongoing)
- Founder and Director of "Inverted: Circus and Pole Fitness Ltd", Aberdeen (2015 onwards)
- Young Innovators Challenge Award with Scottish Institute for Enterprise (2015)
- Circus pedagogue degree, JOJO Zentrum fur Artistik und Theater, Germany
- Media designer for picture and sound with Sudwestrundfunk and Film- und Fernsehproduktion Osswald, Germany (2006-2010)