- Clara Mascaró
- Social Policy School of Social and Political Science University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- Research Interests
- Disability, Work, Employment transitions, Political Economy, Labour Market Policy, United Kingdom, Germany, Spain
Work-Disability and Employment Transitions in the United Kingdom and Germany
This ESRC-funded PhD project explores processes of work-disability, defined as processes of exclusion from or disadvantage within paid employment experienced by people with long-term health conditions and/or impairments. The focus is on the influence of labour market structures and institutions, as well as of social security systems, on these processes. To explore this issue, I adopt a comparative perspective with the United Kingdom and Germany as contrasting case studies, and undertake longitudinal analysis of microdata within each case (using the Understanding Society and the Socio-Economic Panel, respectively).
I am currently Research Assistant in a project with Dr Niccolo Durazzi (Social Policy), analysing the political economy of social investment policies in a comparative perspective.
Prior to my postgraduate studies, I worked as a Research Consultant, mainly focusing on employability and health and social care projects.
I am part of the Work, Economy and Welfare Research Group at the University of Edinburgh.
I am also a member of the UK-wide PhD and early career researcher network Money, Security and Social Policy (MSSP).
- Tutor: European Social Policy, University of Edinburgh, 2018-2019 and 2019-2020
Scholarships and Awards
- ESRC +3.3 Doctoral Scholarship (Sep 2018 - Dec 2021)
- Prize for Best Performance in MSc by Research, School of Social and Political Science, University of Edinburgh (Nov 2018)
- MSc by Research in Social Policy, University of Edinburgh (2018)
- MA (Hons) Economics and Politics, University of Edinburgh (2015)