- Clara Mascaró
- Social Policy School of Social and Political Science University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- Research Interests
- Disability, Work, Employment transitions, Political Economy, Labour Market Policy, United Kingdom, Germany, Spain
Work-Disability and Employment Transitions in the United Kingdom and Germany
This ESRC-funded PhD project explores processes of work-disability, defined as processes of exclusion from or disadvantage within paid employment experienced by people with long-term health conditions and/or impairments. The focus is on the influence of labour market structures and institutions, as well as of social security systems, on these processes. To explore this issue, I adopt a comparative perspective with the United Kingdom and Germany as contrasting case studies, and undertake longitudinal analysis of microdata within each case, using the UK Household Longitudinal Survey (Understanding Society) and the German Socio-Economic Panel.
I'm currently Research Assistant in a project with Dr Niccolo Durazzi (Social Policy), analysing the political economy of social investment policies in a comparative perspective.
Prior to my postgraduate studies, I worked as a Research Consultant, mainly on evaluations of employment policy and health and social care policy.
I'm part of the Work, Economy and Welfare Research Group at the University of Edinburgh.
I'm also a member of the UK-wide PhD and early career researcher network Money, Security and Social Policy (MSSP).
- Tutor: European Social Policy, University of Edinburgh, 2018-2019 and 2019-2020
Scholarships and Awards
- ESRC +3.3 Doctoral Scholarship (Sep 2018 - Dec 2021)
- Prize for Best Performance in MSc by Research, School of Social and Political Science, University of Edinburgh (Nov 2018)
- MSc by Research in Social Policy, University of Edinburgh (2018)
- MA (Hons) Economics and Politics, University of Edinburgh (2015)