- Fabio Battaglia
- Social Policy School of Social and Political Science University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh UK
- Research Interests
- Quality of Life, Well-being, Economic Growth and Quality of Life, The Politics and Philosophy of Wellbeing, Democracy and Social Indicators, The Philosophy of Taxation, The Philosophy of Citizenship and Statehood
To GDP or not to GDP? Identifying the barriers to the use and influence of measures of progress and well-being in Scottish and Italian policy-making.
I am a second-year Social Policy PhD student from Rome, Italy working on the politics of well-being under the supervision of Elke Heins and Neil Thin. I am the current PGR Representative of all PhD students at the University of Edinburgh, a role that I also held in 2017/2018, and the current SGSSS/DTP Student Representative. I am also the drummer of The Holyrooders, a Scottish rock band.
I can speak English, Italian, Spanish and, after drinking some wine, I can manage to have small talks in French and Swedish as well (skål!).
Reports and Conference Papers
- ‘Valore della natura per il benessere’ (tr. The importance of nature for human well-being) in Benessere e natura: città verdi a misura di bambino edited by AIQUAV and WWF Italy.
- Whose Well-Being? On The Right To Define Well-Being. Paper presented at the 16th Annual Conference on Quality of Life organised by the International Society for Quality-of-Life Studies in Hong Kong in June 2018.
- A Comparative Sentiment Analysis of Internet Users’ Interests in Quality of Life and Economic Growth (with E. Plata and G. Stefanini). Paper presented at the IV Conference on Quality of Life and Sustainability organised in Florence by AIQUAV in December, 2017.
- The Importance of Social Indicators For Democracy and The Importance of Democracy For Social Indicators. Paper presented at the IV Conference on Quality of Life and Sustainability organised in Florence by AIQUAV in December, 2017.
To GDP or not to GDP? @ Scottish Economics Conference (February, 2019).
Scotland: Happier or Richer? @ Explorathon (September 29, 2018).
To GDP or not to GDP? @ TEDxUniversity of Edinburgh Student Speaker Choice Awards 2017 (November 20, 2017).
MSc in EU Politics, London School of Economics and Political Science
BSc in Political Science and International Relations, LUISS Guido Carli University