- Megan Arthur
- Social Policy School of Social and Political Science University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh UK EH8 9DL
- Research Interests
- Global Health Policy, Global governance, Non-state actors, Public health, Social policy
Philanthropy and child undernutrition in India: Understanding governance processes
My doctoral research project is aimed at better understanding how philanthropic organizations are engaged in health governance in India and how key stakeholders view their involvement in governance processes. The rationale for this research agenda emerges from a recognition that the considerable expansion of the number and range of actors in the global health arena in recent decades presents a challenge for national governments' management of health policy.
MSc Global Health and Public Policy, University of Edinburgh, 2008
BA (Hons) Health Studies, with Minors in Peace Studies and Indigenous Studies, McMaster University, 2007
Awards and Scholarships
- School of Social and Political Science Graduate School Studentship, University of Edinburgh (2015-2018)
- Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship, University of Edinburgh (2015-2018)
- International Masters Scholarship, University of Edinburgh (2007-2008)
- Edwin Marwin Dalley Memorial Scholarship, McMaster University (2006-2007)
- Alan G. Newcombe Prize in Peace Studies, McMaster University (2006-2007)
- Wilson Foundation Leadership Award, McMaster University (2005-2007)
- Provincial Award, Canada Millennium Scholarship Foundation (2003-2007)
- International Order of Foresters Northwestern Ontario Division Scholarship (2003-2007)
- McMaster University (Senate) Scholarship, McMaster University (2005-2006)
- McMaster Honour Award, McMaster University (2003-2005)
- Helen L. Dewar Scholarship, Thunder Bay Community Foundation (2003-2004)
Arthur M, Earle A, Raub A, and Heymann J. Child marriage laws around the world: minimum marriage age, legal exceptions, and gender disparities. Journal of Women, Politics & Policy. 2018. 39(1): 51-74.
Arthur M, Battat R, and Brewer TF. Teaching the basics: Core competencies in global health. Infectious Disease Clinics of North America. 2011. 25(2): 347-58.
Prasad V, Arthur M, Sundararaman T, and Murugan G. (Forthcoming 2018) Technical agencies and nutrition governance in India: Power and influence in the context of contested approaches. In A. Kapilashrami and R. Baru, eds., Global health governance and commercialisation of public health in India: Actors, institutions and the dialectics of globalisation and localisation. New York: Routledge, pp. 29-54.
Arthur M. (2017) Book Review: 'How Politics Makes Us Sick: Neoliberal Epidemics' by Ted Schrecker and Clare Bambra. Social Policy & Administration, 51(3), 543-5.
Conference Papers and Presentations:
Arthur M. Understanding Public and Private Roles in Nutrition Policy Governance: Examining Philanthropic Foundations' Engagement in National Nutrition Policymaking in India, 4th International Conference on Public Policy, Montreal, Canada, Forthcoming 26-28 June 2019.
Arthur M. Public and Private Actors in Health Governance: The Role of Philanthropic Foundations, Canadian Conference on Global Health, Toronto, Canada, 20 November 2018.
Arthur M. Health Governance in a Crowded Actor Landscape: The Role of Philanthropic Foundations. 12th Pan-European Conference on International Relations, Prague, Czech Republic, 13 September 2018.
Arthur M. Philanthropic Foundations and Child Undernutrition in India: Understanding Governance Processes. Critical Public Health Consequences of the Double Burden of Malnutrition and the Changing Food Environment in South and Southeast Asia, New Delhi, India, 29 March 2018.
Arthur M, Earle A, Raub A, Heymann J. Child Marriage Laws Around the World: The Role of Legal Frameworks in Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (poster). Development Studies Association Scotland conference, Edinburgh, UK, June 17, 2016.
Arthur M, Earle A, Raub A, Heymann J. Child Marriage Laws Around the World: Implications for Gender Equality. Association for Public Policy Analysis & Management (APPAM) International Conference, London, UK, June 13, 2016.
Arthur M, Raub A, and Heymann J. Global Variation in Legislative and Regulatory Instruments for Gender Equality. International Conference on Public Policy, Milan, Italy, July 2, 2015.
De Guzman Chorny N, McNeill K, Arthur M, Sigurdsen P, Heymann J. Labor Policies Promoting Population Health: Where Does Latin America Stand?. American Public Health Association 142nd Annual Meeting, New Orleans, USA, November 17, 2014.
Arthur M. Maintaining a Consistent Evidence Base: Global Comparative Legal and Policy Research. First Global Forum on Youth Policies, Baku, Azerbaijan, October 29, 2014
Arthur M, Atabay E, Raub A, Latz I, de Guzman Chorny N, Barrera M, Vincent I, Nandi A, and Heymann J. Legal protections against child marriage around the world. Policy brief: WORLD Policy Analysis Center; November, 2014.
Latz I, Raub A, Cassola A, de Guzman Chorny N, Arthur M, and Heymann J. Equal rights for women and girls in the world’s constitutions. Policy brief: WORLD Policy Analysis Center; November, 2014.
Pollock AM, Arthur M and Richardson E. (2009) Submission of evidence to the Scottish Government’s Health and Sport Committee enquiry: Out of hours health care provision in rural areas of Scotland. Centre for International Public Health Policy.
Arthur M and Pollock AM. (2009) The role of first responders: Not a substitute for GP out-of-hours care. Centre for International Public Health Policy.
Arthur M. Who Watches WHO? Biology of Inequality; 13 July 2017. Available at: http://biologyofinequality.com/blog/2017/7/12/whowatch.
Heymann J, Sprague A, and Arthur M. The legal loopholes that perpetuate child marriage. Huffington Post Blog; 18 November 2014. Available at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jody-heymann/the-legal-loopholes-that-_b_6165220.html.
Research and Knowledge Exchange Experience
Policy Research Analyst and Knowledge Exchange Coordinator, World Policy Analysis Center, Fielding School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles (2013-2015)
Research Assistant and Program Manager, Global Health Programs, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University (2009-2012)
Research Assistant, Centre for International Public Health Policy, School of Health in Social Science, University of Edinburgh (2008-2009)
- 'Public and Private Actors in Health Governance: The Role of Philanthropic Foundations', Global Politics of Public Health, University of Edinburgh (2018-2019)
- ‘Structural Violence and Global Health’, Peace-building through Health, McMaster University (2006-2007)
- Global Politics of Public Health, UG Honours, University of Edinburgh (2018-2019)
- Public Health and Health Policy, UG Honours, University of Edinburgh (2017-2018)
- Public Health and Health Policy, Masters-level online course, University of Edinburgh (2016-2017)
- Health Systems Analysis, Masters-level online course, University of Edinburgh (2015-2016 & 2016-2017)
- Peace-building through Health, Undergraduate course, McMaster University (2006-2007)
Affiliations and Community Engagement
- Member, People’s Health Movement Scotland (2017-present)
- Member, Canadian Coalition for Global Health Research (2015-present)
- Member, WHO Watch, People’s Health Movement (2016-2017)
- Reviewer, Health Expectations (2008-2009)
- English – native speaker
- French – fluent