- Amy Andrada
- Sociology School of Social and Political Science University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- +44 (0)753 926 9587
- Research Interests
- Ideology, Norms, Narrative Inquiry, gender, national identity, Gender hierarchies, Quantitative Research, Kinship and motherhood, Exclusion, Self, Identity
Middle Class Mothers: The Case of Gatekeepers and Rebels
My research focuses on the development of self based on gender, femininity, and motherhood. Specifically, I examine identity among women and mothers in context of in-group and out-group relations, and stigma and discrimination related to (un)partnership status(es). My research aims to explore the ways in which identity is shaped by gender, parental, and relationship statuses for women.
PhD, Sociology, Anticipated Conferral Date: ASAP (University of Edinburgh)
M.A., English, Cum Laude, Thesis. (California State University)
M.A., Sociology, Cum Laude, Teaching & Thesis. “The Illegitimacy of Single Parents: Identity Conceptualization and the Consequences of Owning a ‘Deficit’ Status” (California State University)
B.A., English & Sociology, Cum Laude, with specialization in English Literature and Language, Gender Studies, Sociology of Deviance (California State University)
Publications: Journal Articles, Book Chapters, etc.
Andrada, A. (Forthcoming, 2019). Middle Class Mothers: An Examination of the Social Construction of Motherhood In Buchanan, F. & Zufferey, C. (Ed.), Intersections of Mothering: Feminist Accounts. Routledge:UK.
Other Publications: Book Reviews, Blog Posts, etc.
Andrada, A. (2018). [Review of the book Getting Respect: Responding to Stigma and Discrimination in the United States, Brazil, and Israel, by Lamont, M, Moraes Silva, G., Welburn, J., Guetzkow, J., Mizrachi, N., Herzog, H. and E. Reis). Sociological Research Online, 23(2). https://doi.org/10.1177/1360780418798379
Andrada, A. (2017). [Review of the book Negotiating Identities: Adolescent Mothers’ Journey to Motherhood, A Research Study, by Ford, K.L.]. Women & Language Online, 38(1).
Andrada, A. (2017). [Review of the book Family Rhythms: The Changing Textures of Family Life in Ireland, by Grey, J., Geraghty, R., and Ralph, D.]. Sociological Research Online, 22(1). http://www.socresonline.org.uk/22/1/reviews/2.html
Centre for Research on Families and Relationships. (Dec 5, 2017). Trust me, I know exactly how you feel’: Undisclosed thoughts on researching single mums when you are one. Post by Amy Andrada. Centre for Research on Families and Relationships Blog.
DePaulo, B. (2017). Why Aren’t the Other kids Playing with My Son? Post by Amy Andrada, Part 2. Psych Central.
DePaulo, B. (2017). Why Aren’t the Other kids Playing with My Son? Post by Amy Andrada, Part 1. Psych Central.
Conference Papers, Presentations, and Proceedings
- Are Women Assholes? (Forthcoming, Public Lecture), The Cabaret of Dangerous Ideas, August 2019, Edinburgh, UK
- Hierarchal Sub/Prescriptions of Un/Partnered Woman/Motherhood (Forthcoming), BSA Annual Conference, April 24-26, 2019, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, UK.
- Committee Member (Forthcoming), New Directions Annual Conference, April 18-19, 2019, Edinburgh, UK.
- Hierarchal Prescription of UnPartnered Motherhood: Single Mothers and Stigma, Exploring Legacies of Injustice and Inequality, Dec 3, 2018, Edinburgh University, Edinburgh, UK.
- Why Mums Have More in Common Than They Think (Public Lecture), Leith Lab Conversations: Exploration, September 29, 2018, Edinburgh, UK.
- Chair, Opportunity and Identity, New Directions Annual Conference, April 19-20, 2018, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK.
- Middle Class Mothers in the US. Emerging Themes: Identity, Stigma, and Agency, BSA Annual Conference, April 10-12, 2018, Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK.
- Middle Class Mothers: Examining Single Mothers and their Experiences (Preliminary Data), CSA Annual Conference, Nov 17-18, 2017, Sacramento, CA, USA.
- Single Mothers in the American Middle Class: Theoretical Analysis of Motherhood and Mothering, Kaleidoscope: Postgraduate Gender Research Network of Scotland Conference, June 5, 2017, Edinburgh, UK.
- American Single Mothers: Class, Identity, and Stigma, New Directions Annual Conference, April 20-21, 2017, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK.
Present - 2016 BARSTOW COMMUNITY COLLEGE
- Lecturer: Introduction to Sociology, Marriage and Family
Present - 2016 UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH
- Lecture Development: Doing Survey Research (SCIL10063), Statistical Modeling (SSPS10027), Introduction to Political Data Analysis (PLIT08009)
- Tutor: Sociology 1B: The Sociological Imagination (SCIL08005), Doing Survey Research (SCIL10063), Statistical Modeling (SSPS10027), Introduction to Political Data Analysis (PLIT08009), Designing and Doing Social Research (SCIL10062), Research Design in Politics and International Relations (PLIT10106), Sociology of Intoxication (SCIL10054), Sustainable Development 2a: Perspectives on Sustainable Development (SCIL08009)
Present - 2014 SANTA MONICA COLLEGE
- Lecturer: Introduction to Sociology
Present - 2011 ANTELOPE VALLEY COLLEGE
- Lecturer: Introduction to Sociology, Ethnic Relations, Research Methods, Gender & Sexuality
- Tutor: Various sociology courses (2001-2011)
2011 - 2014 CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY
- Lecturer: Sociology of Deviance, Sociology of Crime (Guest), Gender and Society, Introduction to Research Methods, Quantitative Analysis, Classical Sociological Theory (Guest), Contemporary Sociological Theory (Guest), Social Stratification (Guest)
- Tutor: Social Psychology, Sociology of Religion, Childhood and Society, Family and Stress, Multicultural Diversity and the U.S. Education System
2018 Fran Trust, Recipient, Gender Studies (University of Edinburgh)
2014 Graduate Student of the Year, Nominee (California State University)
Grants & Scholarships
2019 Research Student-Led Project, University of Edinburgh
2016-18 PhD Research Support Grant, University of Edinburgh
2013 Graduate Research Grant, California State University
2001-11 Cal Grant Recipient, Antelope Valley College/California State University
Member, American Sociological Association (ASA)
Member, British Sociological Association (BSA)
Member, California Sociological Association (CSA)
PhD Associate Researcher, Centre for Research on Families and Relationships (CRFR)
genderED Researcher, Institution for the Advanced Study in the Humanities (IASH)