- Daniel Cetrà
- Sociology School of Social and Political Science University of Edinburgh
- 3.06 St John's Land @DaniCetra
- Follow me on Academia.edu
- Research Interests
- Nations and Nationalism, Political Liberalism and Minority Rights, Territorial Politics, The Politics of Language
- PhD in Sociology (University of Edinburgh, 2016)
- MSc with Distinction Nationalism Studies (University of Edinburgh, 2011)
- BA with Honours in Political Science (Pompeu Fabra University, 2010)
Debating within Liberal Nationalism: The Linguistic Disputes in Catalonia and Flanders
My research interests lie broadly in the study of nationalism. My doctoral research focused on the relationship between nationalism, liberalism and language from a combined political theory and political sociology perspective.
I am currently a Research Fellow at the Centre on Constitutional Change, where I compare the evolution of minority nationalism and the case for independence in the Basque Country, Catalonia, Flanders and Scotland. More recently, I explore the territorial implications of Brexit and the prospect of a second Scottish independence referendum.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Forthcoming. ‘Breaking-up within Europe: Sub-state Nationalist Strategies in Multilevel Polities’, Journal of Common Market Studies (with Liñeira, R.)
- Forthcoming. ‘The 2017 Catalan Independence Referendum: A Symposium’, Scottish Affairs (with Casanas-Adam, E. and Tàrrega, M.)
- 2016. 'The 2015 Catalan Election: A De Facto Referendum on Independence?', Regional & Federal Studies, 26:1, pp. 107-119 (with Martí, D.)
- 2015. 'The Independence Case in Comparative Perspective', The Political Quarterly, 86:2, pp. 257-264 (with Liñeira, R.).
Refereed Book Chapters
- 2017. '"The Song Remains the Same?" Constitutional Developments in Catalonia and Scotland in 2015', European Yearbook of Minority Issues, Vol. 14, pp. 155-170 (with Harvey, M.).
- 2017. ‘Linguistic Diversity in Plurinational States’, 50 Shades of Federalism Project, Canterbury University.
- 2015. 'Book review of: Dandoy, R; Dodeigne, J.; Matagne, G.; and Reuchamps, M. (editors), Les Élections Communales de 2012 en Wallonie, 2013', Swiss Political Science Review, 21:1, pp. 195-196.
- 2012. 'Book Review of: Philippe Van Parijs, Linguistic Justice for Europe and for the World, Oxford University Press, 2011', Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism (SEN), 12:2, pp. 416-418.
- 2014 - present. Research Fellow at the ESRC-funded Centre on Constitutional Change (with Professor Michael Keating).
- 2014-17. 'Nationalism in Modern Europe' [Honours] (University of Aberdeen)
- 2015-17. Comparative Perspectives in Nationalism Studies [postgraduate course] (University of Edinburgh, UoE)
- 2016. Nations and Nationalism [Honours and postgraduate course] (UoE)
- 2016. Comparing Scottish Devolution [postgraduate course] (UoE).
- 2012-14: 'Democracy in Comparative Perspective' [undergraduate] (UoE)
- 2012-14: 'Introduction to Politics & International Relations' [undergraduate] (UoE)*
* Nominated for the EUSA Teaching Awards 2012-13
2016. ‘Debates within Liberal Nationalism: The Linguistic Disputes in Catalonia and Flanders’, given at the MultiCite Research Group Seminar Series, University of Geneva, 21 April. Discussant: François Grin.
2014. ‘Catalonia and Scotland: Similar Goals, Different Paths’, given at the session Small Nations and Big Ideas as part of Imagination: Scotland’s First Festival of Ideas, Glasgow, 7 September.
2013. ‘Scottish Autonomy’, given at the session Meglio Soli o Accompagnati? La Governance dell’autonomia in Europa, Officina dell’autonomia, Trento, 13 May.
- 2017. ‘The Politics of Language and Nationalism’, presented at the RC50 IPSA conference The Politics of Multilingualism: Possibilities and Challenges, Amsterdam, 22-24 May.
- 2017. ‘Explaining different state responses to independence demands: the cases of the UK and Spain’, to be presented at the 67th BSA Annual Conference Politics in Interesting Times, Glasgow, 10-12 April.
- 2016. 'Our Language, Our Rules? Nationalism and Linguistic Disputes in Catalonia and Flanders', presented at the 24th IPSA World Congress Politics in a World of Inequality. July 23-28, Poznán, Poland.
- 2015. 'Language Rights and Territory: The Case of the Flemish Periphery of Brussels', presented at the IPSA Conference Rethinking Territoriality: Between Independence and Interdependence. University of Edinburgh.
- 2015. 'Nationalism and Linguistic Disputes: The Case of Catalonia', presented at the ECPR General Conference. Université de Montréal.
- 2013. 'Political Liberalism versus Linguistic Nationalism? Examining the Contested Claims on Linguistic Justice in Catalonia and Flanders', presented at Language policies in multilingual societies: can the conflict be avoided? Pablo de Olavide University, Seville.
- 2012. 'Our Language, Our Rules? Assessing the Compatibility between the Linguistic Regimes in Catalonia and Flanders and the Politico-Moral Principles of Liberalism', presented at the 22nd Annual ASEN Conference, Nationalism, Ethnicity and Boundaries. London School of Economics (LSE)..
'The World Tonight', BBC Radio 4, 31-10-2017.
Good Morning Scotland', BBC Radio Scotland, 28-10-2017.
'STV News Tonight', STV, 27-10-2017.
'Scotland Tonight', STV, 19-10-2017.
South African Broadcasting Corporation (RSG), 17-10-2017.
Newsdrive', BBC Radio Scotland, 04-10-2017.
'Representing Border', ITV Border, 03-10-2017.
'Good Morning Scotland', BBC Radio Scotland, 23-09-2017.
'Spain ramps up its crackdown on Catalan independence vote', The Herald, 22-09-2017 (quoted).
'Scotland Tonight', STV, 20-09-2017.
Representing Border', ITV Border, 19-09-2017.
Informativos EiTB' (Basque public TV), 18-09-2017.
Why Catalonia's independence vote is "very different" from Scotland's', The Scotsman, 14-09-2017.
La propuesta de un segundo referéndum pasa factura al independentismo escocés’, EFE (Spanish News Agency), 09-06-2017 (quoted).
En Jake, EiTB (Basque public TV), 08-06-2017.
Boulevard, Radio Euskadi (Basque public radio station), 08-06-2017.
World in Focus, Radio Sputnik UK, 04-04-2017.
'El "Brexit" pone a prueba la cohesión política del Reino Unido', EFE (Spanish News Agency), 16-03-2017 (quoted).
'El Brexit dur aboca Escòcia a un nou però molt incert referèndum', Diari Ara (Catalan newspaper), 18-01-2017 (quoted).
‘Catalonia still asking for independence’, EU Observer, 12-09-2016 (quoted).
Boulevard, Radio Euskadi (Basque radio station), 23-06-2016
'L'SNP repeteix victòria a Escòcia però es queda a tocar de la majoria absoluta', Nació Digital (Catalan online newspaper), 06-05-2016
Good Morning Scotland, BBC Radio Scotland, 13-01-2016 (47.30 mins in)
Representing Border, ITV Border, 12-01-2016 (16.48 mins in)
Representing Border, ITV Border, 10-09-2015 (10.05 mins in)
‘Catalans eye new independence “referendum”’, Al Jazeera, 29-01-2015 (quoted)
Ganbara, Radio Euskadi (Basque radio station), 14-11-2014
Sunday Politics Scotland, BBC One, 09-11-2014
Good Morning Scotland, BBC Radio Scotland, 07-11-2014
‘Scotland votes “No” but others still say “Yes”’, Ozy, 20-09-2014 (quoted)
Hoy por Hoy, Cadena SER (Spanish radio station), 19-09-2014.
‘Le référendum en Écosse sous la loupe des indépendantistes à travers le monde’, L’Orient Le Jour (Lebanese newspaper), 18-09-2014
NTN24 (Latin America news channel), 18-09-2014
El Món a Rac 1, Rac 1 (Catalan radio station), 18-09-2014
‘Debate: qué tan distintos son Escocia e Inglaterra?’, BBC Mundo, 17-09-2014 (online chat)
‘Es poco factible que el Gobierno español vete la entrada de Escocia en la Unión Europea’, DEIA (Basque newspaper), 13-09-2014
Press Articles and Blog Posts
'Catalonia's "difficult balancing act"', The Herald, 12-10-2017.
How will Spain respond to a Catalan independence vote?', The Herald, 04-10-2017.
Comparing Scotland and Catalonia's bid for independence', The Herald, 13-09-2017.
'El dilema d'un segon referèndum a Escòcia', El Punt Avui (Catalan newspaper), 09-12-2016
‘Roadmaps and gridlock: the drive for Catalan independence’, CCC Blog, 12-09-2016.
'Catalan elections: three possible scenarios that could shape Catalonia's future', LSE EUROPP Blog, 24-09-2015
'Decision Time for Catalonia', Centre on Constitutional Change, 29-07-2015
'Labour’s coalition dilemma has Spanish echoes', Centre on Constitutional Change, 16-03-2015
'A symbolic and non-binding vote on independence in Catalonia', The Future of the UK and Scotland, 10-11-2014
'Catching the Referendum bug', The Future of the UK and Scotland, 01-10-2014
'Spain is unlikely to veto an independent Scotland’s EU membership', LSE EUROPP Blog, 15-09-2014
'Scotland vote may change little in Catalonia – but Cameron’s an unlikely hero there', The Conversation, 13-09-2014
'The Flemish Nationalists may have been successful in Sunday's (other) elections, but it will be a bumpy road to government', Political Studies Association Blog, 29-05-2014
'Belgium won't split after Sunday's elections, but it could take a step in that direction', The Conversation, 20-05-2014
'Quebec's Election', The Future of the UK and Scotland, 15-04-2014
'Catalonia deadlocked as nationalists plan new offensive', The Conversation, 02-04-2014
Research Grant for Foreign Doctoral Students 2012-13. Spiral Research Centre, University of Liège .
Conference Grant Award 2012 and 2013. The University of Edinburgh.
Assistant Editor. Regional and Federal Studies, October 2012 – present.
Moderator. Fulbright Roundtable with Professor Michael Ignatieff, 7 June 2016, Edinburgh.
Member. IPSA Research Committee 50 (RC50) The Politics of Language.
Participant. Summer School ‘Politics in Fragmented Societies: Cohesion, Recognition, Redistribution and Secession’, co-organised by the Institute for Minority Rights (EURAC) and the Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM). Bozen / Bolzano, 15-26 June 2015.
Discussant. Workshop ‘Recognition and Redistribution in Multinational Federations’, organised by the Research Group in Political Philosophy of KU Leuven, 2-4 May 2013.
Organiser. Workshop ‘Crossing Perspectives: Concepts and Methods in the Study of Nationalism’, 11 November 2011, Edinburgh.
Member. Territorial Politics Research Group, University of Edinburgh.