- Nathalia Salamanca-Sarmiento
- Sociology School of Social and Political Science University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh UK EH8 8LN
- Research Interests
- Memory, identity, Narrative Inquiry, Human rights, Childhood and Youth Studies, reconciliation and dealing with the past, Contesting childhood
Telling childhoods: Growing up as a child soldier in Colombia (working title)
How do former child soldiers’ first person accounts shed light on the experience of childhood during war.
Dr Liliana Riga (Sociology) and Prof. Kay Tisdall (Social Policy).
MSc Social Research (Distinction), University of Edinburgh (2013).
BA. Social Communication and Journalism. Javeriana University, Bogota, Colombia. (2004).
Voices of Post-Conflict Project. A Edinburgh University student-led research collective aiming to shed light and inspire the bridging of perspectives on issues of agency and gender in post conflict situations.
Publications and Conferences
"Historias de vida de personas desvinculadas de grupos armados". Reflexión metodológica por una escucha ética. (Life stories of former child soldiers. Methodological and ethical reflections). Symposium: A la escucha. Los Andes University, Bogota, Colombia (17th March, 2015).
"Why do child soldiers join armed groups? A narrative study of the first autobiographic account of a former child soldier in Colombia". Children and War: Past and Present Conference in Salzburg, Austria (10th to 12th of July, 2013).
February, 2014. Guest Lecturer for Researching Global Social Change. School of Social & Political Science, University of Edinburgh.
Researcher of the Children and Armed Conflict Observatory of the Coalition Against the Involvement of Boys, Girls and Youth to the Armed Conflict in Colombia (2011-2012).
* The Case for Space Project. Selected as one of 20 Global Young Researchers to explore how to strengthen the environment for youth development, focusing on participation, protection and livelihoods (2015). Restless Development, War Child and Youth Business International.
* College of Humanities and Social Science Scholarships (2014-2017).
* Colciencias Scholarship. Program: PhD Sociology at the University of Edinburgh (2014-2017).
* The University of Edinburgh PhD Conference Fund (2013).
* Colfuturo Scholarship. Program: Master in Social Research at the University of Edinburgh (2012-2013)
* Awarded a scholarship by the Peacebuilding and Development Institute from the American University to attend the course “Colombia’s initiative for Media and Peace”. Washington, D.C., USA, November 2008.
* Avina’s Scholarship for journalistic research, Sao Paulo, Brazil, November 2006. Project: “Voces y rostros” (Voices and Faces). A collection of short interviews of war victims and their expectations of judicial and administrative reparation.
Member of Consejo de Redaccion (Colombian organisation of investigative journalists).