Organising Student-Led Events
If you are successful in obtaining a grant from the Graduate School for your initiative, please see the following guidance.
It is expected that you will organise all aspects of your event (with assistance, where required, from the Graduate School Office) and keep a record of your finances, please see the list below for information on the most common areas of expenditure / organisation. If anything is not covered below or you have questions about any of the information please get in touch. If you are arranging for invoices sent directly to the Graduate School inform us prior to the invoices arriving.
To book rooms within the university please email the GSO with the details: date(s), times, preferred location and likely numbers (if your preferred location isn't available, a suitable sized alternative can be sought).
When booking rooms within the university please note the following:
- During semester it will be highly unlikely that you will be able to book a teaching room for any significant length of time (half day, full day etc.). The Practice Suite (capacity 30) or the 6th Floor Staff Room (capacity 40-60) in the CMB could be possible alternative venues.
- If you are booking a university room outwith the normal opening hours of a building there will be a charge (this is University of Edinburgh policy). For a full day booking on a Saturday in the CMB, this is around £200.
It may be possible to hold your event in a venue outwith the university. In order to pay for this, the GSO would need to raise a Purchase Order prior to the event and it would then be paid on receipt of invoice. It is no longer possible for you to pay the invoice up front and claim back on expenses - those expenses would not be reimbursed. Please contact the PGR team in the GSO for more information on this.
The university has an internal delivered catering service (Edinburgh First) which offers tea and coffee, and lunches. Although you can order it directly from Edinburgh First yourself, it is cheaper for the GSO to order it using the internal online booking system. In order to organise this you should contact the GSO stating exactly what you want ordered, the quantity, the time of delivery and collection, and the location. It's currently (Sept 2015) just under £2 per person for tea, coffee and biscuits, between £6 and £7 for sandwich lunches and £2.50 for a carton/bottle of juice/water. Please contact the GSO for exact prices.
It may be possible to order catering from an outside service. In order to pay for this, the GSO would need to raise a Purchase Order prior to the event and it would then be paid on receipt of invoice. It is no longer possible for you to pay the invoice up front and claim back on expenses - those expenses would not be reimbursed. Please contact the PGR team in the GSO for more information on this.
If you need to book accommodation for your event, there are a few options on how to do this:
- You or the attendee can book and pay for the accommodation and then claim it back on expenses. See the expenses section for more information on how to do this.
- The GSO can book internal university accommodation, see here for the options available. You will need to provide the GSO with the dates, what accommodation is required and the name(s) (including title) of the guest(s).
- The university has contracts with a number of local hotels who are happy to receive payment on receipt of an invoice. The GSO can provide you with a list upon request. In order to book one of those hotels, the GSO would need to raise a Purchase Order prior to the stay and it would then be paid on receipt of invoice.
Payment for travel operates on a claim back basis, either the attendee should pay for it up front and claim back on expenses or you can book on their behalf and claim back on expenses. It is possible to provide you with an advance of expenses if required. See the expenses section for more information.
It will not be possible for all of the expenditure to be paid for via invoice or internal transfer, it is therefore likely that you will have to pay upfront for some costs and claim back on expenses. In order to claim expenses you must complete this form and return it to the GSO along with your itemised receipts. You MUST keep all receipts as any expenditure without receipts will not be reimbursed, in line with the University of Edinburgh expenses policy.
Expenses payments to UK bank accounts should be paid around 1-2 weeks from submission of the expenses claim form and receipts, however if the expenses are being paid to a foreign bank account they can take longer.
Advance of expenses: if you cannot afford the costs up front we can offer an advance of expenses. For information on how to receive an advance please contact the PGR team in the GSO (firstname.lastname@example.org), and allow at least three weeks before you will be making any expenditure - it can take that long to receive the advance in your account. As with the general expenses, you MUST keep all your receipts. Further instructions will be provided to you if your advance of expenses is approved.