Thesis Submission and Examination
A guide to forms and procedures
This guidance is intended for PhD and MPhil research students who are coming to the end of their research and are ready to be examined. It outlines the main stages of the process and the administrative steps that you need to take: these are described in chronological order, giving links to appropriate webpages.
- Leading up to Submission
- Submission of your Thesis
- The Viva
- Outcome of the Viva
- Final Submission of your Thesis
We wish you all the best for your upcoming submission. If you have any concerns about the examination process, it is always best to contact your supervisor in the first instance. However the Graduate School Office or College Postgraduate Office staff will also be happy to help you should you need any information not covered here or just a bit of clarification.
This guidance should be read in conjunction with:
- Code of Practice for Supervisors and Research Students
- Research Assessment Regulations
- Regulatory Standards for the Format and Binding of a Thesis
- Student Checklist for Research Degree Examination
- Viva Survival Workshop slides - slides from a Viva Survival workshop held in March 2016.
All forms referred to in the guidance are available here.