Skip to main content

School of Social and Political Science: Graduate school


Postgraduate Research Students

Postgraduate on-programme queries

  • How do I select, change or audit courses?

Please follow instructions on our Choosing Courses webpage.

  • What funding is available to me while on-programme as a PhD student?

You will find information and application guidance on our Funding webpage.

  • What facilities and resources are available to PGR students?

Please find information on University and School facilities and resources available to you on our webpage.

  • Who do I contact if I have a disability or require a Schedule of Adjustments?

Please contact the University's Student Disability Service for guidance and information on support available to you.

  • Who should I contact if I need to request an Extension, Interruption or Leave of Absence from my PhD?

Please follow the instructions on our Graduate School webpages and action these requests as soon as possible.

  • What should I do if I need to request Special Circumstances or an Extension during my MSc by Research programme?

Please follow the instructions on our Graduate School webpages and action these requests in line with the guidance.

  • Where is the Graduate School Office located?

We are in Room 1.20 on the 1st floor of the Chrystal Macmillan Building, 15a George Square, University of Edinburgh. Our opening hours are 9.30am - 4.30pm Monday to Friday.

Postgraduate Scholarship queries

  • Where do I find information on available scholarships and application instructions?

Our Scholarships webpage provides a list of those available, their deadlines, how to apply, eligibility criteria, and award details for each scholarship.

  • Who do I contact if I am having technical issues with the scholarship application system?

Please contact our Student Systems department for guidance.

Student Administration queries

  • How do I get a Certificate of Matriculation letter confirming my student status?

You are able to print this certificate from your MyEd account when you have matriculated.

  • How do I pay my tuition fees?

There is detailed information provided on the University's Finance website to guide you.

  • How do I set up a bank account?

The University provides comprehensive information about your banking options to guide you with this.

  • How do I get a letter for Edinburgh Council Tax exemption?

Please follow the guidance on the University's Student Administration website.

  • How do I register with a doctor?

Please ensure you follow the instructions on the University's website at your nearest opportunity.

Edinburgh Students