Here you will find information about funding opportunities available for postgraduate study in the School of Social and Political Science, as well as Research Council awards.
In the field of social and political science, most funding is oriented towards doctoral programmes. The UK Economic and Social Research Council provides a number of full scholarships (UK and EU only). In addition to these, further funding schemes support students on MSc programmes. These pages highlight some of the most relevant scholarships, especially those where our students have been successful in the past, and help you to assess whether you are likely to succeed in applying to certain scholarships where the School of Social and Political Science plays a part in making awards.
School of Social and Political Science/ University of Edinburgh awards
- Alice Brown PhD Scholarships
- Graduate School of Social and Political Science PhD Awards
- College Research Awards
- Chrystal Macmillan PhD Studentship
- Macqueen Scholarship
- Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
- Principal's Career Development PhD Scholarships
- Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships
UK Research Council awards
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Awards
- Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Awards
Eligibility for funding will be decided on a range of criteria, with certain scholarships tied to specific degrees, restricted to applicants from specific countries or regions. Inevitably there are more applicants than scholarships, so regardless of the basic criteria, scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis with those most able to provide evidence of a high level of academically relevant achievement.