College Research Awards
The closing date for this scholarship has now passed.
Please note: you will only be able to apply for a scholarship after you have submitted an application to study; the application to study must be submitted in advance of the scholarship application deadline. It is recommended that the application to study is submitted at least two weeks prior to the scholarship application deadline.
Guidance on the scholarships application system is here.
Before applying, please read the Self-Assessment page, which provides helpful information about the factors that help make a successful application. Please note that applications for the College Research Award are extremely competitive, and every year demand far outstrips supply.
The Graduate School of Social and Political Science is pleased to offer a number of funded College Research Awards for 2019/20 entry. Please see the following links for more information:
We have two different types of award on offer to PhD candidates applying for a programme within Social and Political Science:
Graduate School Studentship: pays the Home/EU fee rate and a maintenance stipend of £14,000 per annum, for 3 years.
Graduate School Scholarship: pays the Home/EU fee rate and a maintenance stipend of £7000 per annum, for 3 years.
Awards are made for one year in the first instance and are renewable for up to a further two years (pro-rata for part-time students), subject to satisfactory academic progress.
Students liable to pay international fees may combine the College Research Award with other Scholarships (such as EGRS), to cover all the fee costs.
These awards are available to students intending to commence PhD study in September 2019. These awards are available to all areas of research within the School of Social and Political Science.
Please note these scholarships are only for PhD study, not for MSc by Research.
When making decisions, the Selection Committee will consider the applicant's academic achievements, research proposal, research potential, any publications made, any relevant non-academic experience, and the degree of support provided by references. Financial status and nationality are not taken into account.
Please ensure you read the Self Assessment section to ensure you meet all the criteria as the application process is very competitive.
Deadline for receipt of funding applications for 2019 entry is Tuesday 23:59 GMT 5th February 2019
Applicants must submit two separate applications by this deadline (further information about both is given below):
- College Research Award application
- Application for admission to a PhD degree
Application to the College Research Award is located within the applicant hub. After submitting your application for your programme of study, you will receive a University Username (UUN) and access to MyEd where you can reach the scholarship application system. Instructions on the online awards/scholarship application system can be found here.
Please note the following:
- Once you have submitted your application for study (via the How to Apply page below) you can then submit your funding application(s), you must submit a separate application for each individual funding scheme you are applying to. Each funding application will ask for you to provide a personal statement.
- This form is also used for several other awards, including Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships, Principal's Career Development PhD Scholarships, Graduate School PhD Award, Alice Brown PhD Scholarship, Macqueen Scholarship, and the Chrystal Macmillan Studentship. Important - please ensure you check each scholarship deadline as they may differ. You must enter a separate funding application for each award you wish to be considered for.
- You do not need to wait to receive an offer to study before applying for a College Research Award - but you must submit a complete application to study by the deadline or your PhD Award application will not be considered.
- The supporting documents submitted with your application to study (research proposal, academic transcripts and references etc.) will be used to assess your funding application.
- We cannot accept applications or additional information or supporting statements after the deadline.
- Note that applicants in receipt of conditional offers (including conditional on English language) are still eligible to apply for the College Research Award. Should they receive an award, but not meet the conditions of their offer, they would not be able to take up the award.
You must submit a complete application for admission to a PhD research degree by the awards deadline. Please note the following:
- The application to study is made via the University's on-line applications system EUCLID - you are encouraged to make this application two weeks prior to making your scholarship application but no later than 48 before the scholarship deadline to allow time for any technical difficulties.
- For further information on PhD study please see our PhD Programmes webpage.
- For further information on the application process, please see our How to Apply page.
- You must submit a full application by this deadline, including references, research proposal and all supporting documents.
- References and research proposal for the application to study are also used for the awards application.
The School selection panel will meet in Spring 2019, and results will be communicated to candidates by email shortly thereafter. Note that we also hold a reserve list; in the event that a successful candidate later declines their award (e.g. because they obtain different funding) the award will be offered to the top candidate on the reserve list.
We are aiming to contact College Research Award candidates to let them know the outcome of their application in early April. Due to the volume of applications we receive and the lengthy assessment and ranking process, we are unable to answer individual responses until then.
First year PhD students already at the School of Social and Political Science are not eligible to apply for this scholarship. Please apply instead for the Graduate School of Social and Political Science PhD Awards.