Programme and Aims
The MSc Public Policy covers both the theories and approaches to understanding and engaging with policy work, as well as applying these theories and approaches to policy making in a practice-oriented way through case study learning.
The programme is available both on a full and part time basis.
The MSc in Public Policy focuses on analysing the activities of government, especially those policies relating to the welfare state. Among the questions addressed are the following:
- How are priorities chosen?
- How are policies paid for?
- How do citizens make their views known?
- Do policies work?
- Can they be made more effective?
- Are those who implement policies sufficiently accountable?
By the end of the programme, students should have the critical skills necessary to assess different policy options, and to understand the origins of policy.