- Professor Tim Hayward
- Professor of Environmental Political Theory; Director of the Just World Institute.
- Politics and International RelationsSchool of Social and Political ScienceUniversity of Edinburgh
- 3.10 Chrystal Macmillan Building 15a George Square Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- +44 (0)131 650 4238
- Research Interests
- Global justice, political theory, Human rights, environmental values, fairness, Political philosophy
Guidance and Feedback Hours
- Monday and Tuesday 4:10-5:00. To book an appointment: https://timhayward.youcanbook.me/
A main aim is to integrate environmental considerations into social and political theory. My current project is a book on Global Justice and Finance; other work in progress is on Global Justice and Human Rights from an Ecological Perspective. I have plans for an interdisciplinary research programme centred on applied investigations of fairness.
My research roles at Edinburgh include being Director of the Just World Institute and a member of the Political Theory Research Group. Beyond Edinburgh, I maintain the Political Theory Email List and its Facebook group.
I can offer PhD supervision in most areas of contemporary political theory/philosophy. Especially welcome are applications in the field of international political theory and/or environmental and/or rights theory. (I am one of six political philosophers based in Politics & IR.)
- Human Rights and the Environment, edited, 4 Vols, (Routledge, 2017)
- Constitutional Environmental Rights (Oxford University Press, 2005)
- Political Theory and Ecological Values (Polity Press, 1998)
- Ecological Thought: An Introduction (Polity Press, 1995)
For my most recent articles and papers, please visit my Academia page
Or see the list at Google Scholar
Topics interested in supervising
political philosophy; global justice; human rights; environmental rights; rights theory; ecological debt; environmental security; dialectical theory; ethics and international affairs; fairness; finance; practical epistemics and investigative citizenship
If you are interested in being supervised by Tim Hayward, please see the links below for more information: