Memories of Loss, Dreams of Solidarity
- Memories of Loss, Dreams of Solidarity
- Hosted by: ERC GREYZONE # PIR
- Hosted by
- Introduced by
- Date and Time
- 30th Jan 2020 13:00 - 1st Feb 2020 17:00
- Violet Laidlaw, CMB
The conference examines intricate processes of political memory-formation in the wake of systemic political violence. It invites reflection on competing national mythologies, their affective modalities, genres and material instantiations. The programme includes analyses of critical artistic interventions, in particular in relation to their ability to reveal the ambiguities and complexities of political violence and to sketch images of alternative futures. The goal is to displace the predominant victim-perpetrator binary, challenge linear political visions of transcending the past and nurture visions of solidarity that remain deeply anchored in the murky terrain of past complicities and resistances. The conference brings together perspectives from political theory, memory studies, art, history, transitional justice, literature and film to interrogate the risks and potentials involved in remembering histories of violence and loss.
Plenary speakers (in alphabetical order):
- Maria-Alina Asavei, Charles University
- Emily Beausoleil, Victoria University
- Vikki Bell, Goldsmiths, University of London
- Esteban Buch, Ecole des hautes études en sciences sociales de Paris
- Mihaela Czobor-Lupp, Carleton College
- Pumla Gobodo-Madikizela, Stellenbosch University
- Hans Lauge Hansen, Aarhus University
- Melissa Steyn, University of Witwatersrand
- Joseph R. Winters, Duke University
The full programme is available here: http://bit.ly/Greyzone2020.
To register, please follow this link: http://tiny.cc/q8athz.