Wellcome Trust Research Fellowships
Wellcome Trust Research Fellowships - Humanities and Social Science
This scheme supports humanities and social science scholars at all stages of their career but not in an established academic post, who wish to undertake a period of research in any area of human and animal health. Strong preference is given to applicants with a good prospect of achieving an academic career in the field.
The maximum duration is three years full-time equivalent. The awards are full-time but may be awarded on a part-time basis if a case can be made that personal circumstances require this. Fellowships provide research expenses and a salary.
SSPS requires a mentor (SSPS core staff) for all early-career fellowships. In order to apply, you must first identify, contact and have an agreed mentor for your proposed project application. The project must have Head of Subject Area approval, your mentor can help to obtain this before submitting your application to the School.
January 2020 round:
- 15 November 2019: one page outline to School for early review and feedback
- 9 December 2019: finished draft preliminary application to SSPS Research Office, email@example.com
- Please get in touch with the RO as soon as you know you would like to apply for this round, and we will give you information on how to proceed using the Wellcome Trust grant management system
- Detailed budget information is required for the preliminary application, you will need to liaise with SSPS RO on the development of your budget at least 2 weeks before this date, at the end of November 2019
- 7 January 2020: preliminary application deadline, 17:00 GMT (submission to Wellcome Trust by University, please ensure you are in email contact in the days coming up to the deadline)
- 24 February 2020: for those invited by Wellcome Trust to proceed to full application, final draft application due to SSPS RO
- 18 March 2020: full application deadline, 17:00 GMT (submission to funder by University)
- May 2020: shortlisting
- July 2020: interviews
July 2020 round:
- This scheme runs twice annually and we expect Wellcome to announce their next deadline date early in 2020, (expected early July 2020).
- Finished draft preliminary applications will need to be submitted to SSPS Research Office by late May/ Early June: Exact dates will be announced here in due course.
What Wellcome Trust is looking for:
- the significance and originality of your proposed research
- the suitability and relevance of your approach to your research topic
- your previous research contributions eg publications, conference papers, public engagement and policy-related work
- the suitability of the host organisation for your research and for developing your independent career.
Please get in touch with the Research Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information.