- Professor Tim Hayward
- Professor of Environmental Political Theory
- 3.10 Chrystal Macmillan Building 15a George Square Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- +44 (0)131 650 4238
- Research Interests
- Social Philosophy, epistemic obligations, fairness
Guidance and Feedback Hours
- Monday and Tuesday 4:10-5:00. To book an appointment: https://timhayward.youcanbook.me/
Previous work aimed to integrate environmental considerations into social and political theory. A recent project led to a book on Global Justice and Finance. (Other work currently on hold includes Global Justice and Human Rights from an Ecological Perspective, and an interdisciplinary research programme centred on applied investigations of fairness.)
Current research focuses on the 'epistemic crisis' in political communications in Western societies, and aims to develop an ethic of epistemic due diligence. This would apply particularly with regard to the humanitarian pretext for controversial policy decisions.
At Edinburgh I am a member of the Political Theory Research Group. Beyond Edinburgh, I maintain the Political Theory Email List and its Facebook group.
My personal webpage features occasional blogposts on matters to do with ethics, political philosophy and critical citizenship.
I can offer PhD supervision in the research areas indicated above. (I am one of six political philosophers based in Politics & IR.)
- Global Justice & Finance (forthcoming, August 2019)
- Human Rights and the Environment, edited, 4 Vols, (Routledge, 2017)
- Constitutional Environmental Rights (Oxford University Press, 2005)
- Political Theory and Ecological Values (Polity Press, 1998)
- Ecological Thought: An Introduction (Polity Press, 1995)
For recent articles and papers, please visit my Academia page
Or see the list at Google Scholar
Topics interested in supervising
political philosophy; global justice; human rights; ecological debt; ethics and international affairs; fairness; epistemic crisis; investigative citizenship
If you are interested in being supervised by Tim Hayward, please see the links below for more information: