- Dr Julia Calvert
- Career Development Fellow, International Political Economy
- 3.03 Chrystal Macmillan Building 15a George Square Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- +44 (0)131 651 4752
- Research Interests
- International political economy, International Law & International Relations, Political Sociology, International development, trade, foreign investment, investor-state dispute settlement, Extractive industries and resource governance, Latin America, Canadian foreign economic policy
Guidance and Feedback Hours
- Wednesdays, 2:30 to 4:30pm in Chrystal MacMillan Building 3.19 or by appointment
Dr. Calvert's research examines the impacts bilateral investment treaties have on policy space with a focus on Latin America (Argentina, Peru and Ecuador). She is particularly interested in examining how the conditions and capabilities of the societies, economies and political systems found in signatory countries shape, and are shaped by, the constraints investment treaties aim to impose on government action. She is also interested in exposing the legal and political tools and resources governments and civil society groups use to defend public and political interests from the claims of foreign investors under investment treaties.
Beyond this, her work covers Canadian foreign economic policy and resource governance in the Americas. In the latter area, her work examines how senior mining companies govern global production networks related to metals and minerals and the political controversies associated with it.
- Forthcoming. "Civil Society and Investor-State Dispute Settlement: Assessing the Social Dimensions of Investment Disputes in Latin America." New Political Economy. Online: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13563467.2017.1330876
- "The Politics of Investment in the Americas: Canada, Brazil and the (Post-)Neoliberal State." Canadian Foreign Policy Journal 22 (2): 199 - 216 (w/ Megan Pickup)
- 2016. "State Strategies for the Defence of Domestic Interests in Investor-State Dispute Settlement." Investment Treaty News. International Institute for Sustainable Development, February 29. https://www.iisd.org/itn/2016/02/29/state-strategies-for-the-defence-of-domestic-interests-in-investor-state-arbitration-julia-calvert/
For current and ongoing projects as well as presented papers please contact Dr. Calvert directly.
- PhD in Politics and Political Economy (Carleton, 2016)
MA in Politics and International Development (Guelph, 2010)