- Dr Farah Huzair
- G.35 Old Surgeons' Hall High School Yards Edinburgh UK
- +44 (0)131 650 6386
- Research Interests
- Governance, Innovation, Policy, Life Sciences
Farah is an interdisciplinary researcher with a background in both social and natural sciences. Her research interests cover innovation and regulation of life science industries. She is currently the programme director for the MSc in Management of Bioeconomy, Innovation and Governance.
Farah has an undergraduate degree in Biology and Economics from Coventry University, an MSc in Trade and Economic Development from Reading and an MSc from the Open University in Technology Strategy Research. She did her doctoral work at the Open University on agricultural biotechnology innovation in Hungary.
Post doctoral work includes projects at Dalhousie University, Nova Scotia on production and innovation of the H1N1 vaccine, the Open University on biobanks and biosimilars and at Edinburgh on the Wellcome Trust funded project Making Genomic Medicine, investigating the genomicisation of drug discovery and development.
• Huzair, F. and Sturdy, S. (2017) “Biotechnology and the transformation of vaccine innovation: the case of the hepatitis B vaccines 1968-2000” Studies in History and Philosophy of Science
• Huzair, F and Kale, D. (2015) Biosimilars and the Long Game. Trends in Biotechnology Volume 33, Issue 5, May 2015, Pages 250–252. doi:10.1016/j.tibtech.2015.01.001
• Dandara, C., Huzair, F., Borda-Rodriguez, A., Chirikure, S., Okpechi, I., Warnich,L., and Masimirembwa, C. (2014) H3Africa and the African Life Sciences Ecosystem: Building Sustainable Innovation. OMICS A Journal of Integrative Biology. Volume 18, Number 12, DOI: 10.1089/omi.2014.0145
• Özdemir, V., Borda-Rodriguez, A., Dove, E.S., Ferguson, L.R., Huzair, F., Manolopoulos, G.V., Masellis, M., Milius, D., Warnich, L., and Srivastava, S. (2013) Public Health Pharmacogenomics and the Design Principles for Global Public Goods – Moving Genomics to Responsible Innovation. Current Pharmacogenomics and Personalised Medicine. 11(1) 1-4.
• Huzair, F., Borda-Rodriguez, A., Upton, M. and Mugwagwa, J.T. (2013) An interdisciplinary and development lens on knowledge translation. Science and Public Policy. DOI: 10.1093/scipol/scs119.
• Huzair, F. and Papaioannou, T. (2012) UK Biobank: Consequences for Commons and Innovation. Science and Public Policy 39 (4) 500-501.
• Manamperi, A. and Huzair, F. (2012) Capacity Building in Genomics Medicine and Molecular Diagnostics: The Case of Sri Lanka. Current Pharmacogenomics and Personalised Medicine Volume 10, Number 3, September 2012 , pp. 185-194(10)
• Huzair, F and Borda-Rodriguez, A. (2012) Challenges for the application and development of OMICs health technologies in developing countries. Drug Development Research (73 (7) pp. 447-451. DOI: 10.1002/ddr.21036)
• Graham, J.E., Borda-Rodriguez, A. and Huzair, F. (2012) A Global Vaccine Safety System? Perspectives of national regulatory authorities about vaccine pharmacovigilance. Vaccine 30, pp4953– 4959
• Huzair, F. (2012) The Influenza Vaccine Innovation System and Lessons for PDPs. Human Vaccines and Immunotherapeutics. 8 (3) March pp398 – 401. DOI:10.4161/hv.18701
• P.T.Robbins and F.Huzair (2011) Exploring Central and Eastern Europe's Biotechnology Landscape Springer International Library of Ethics, Law and Technology. Publisher: Springer
Borda-Rodriguez, A. and Huzair, F. (2011). Editorial ‘Revisiting the Paris Declaration: Pharmacogenomics and Personalized Medicine as Accelerators for Development Aid and Effectiveness’. Current Pharmacogenomics and Personalized Medicine. 9(4):240-242.
• Huzair, F., Borda-Rodriguez, A and Upton, M. (2011) Twenty-First Century Vaccinomics Innovation Systems: Capacity Building in the Global South and the Role of Product Development Partnerships (PDPs). OMICS Vol 15, No 9, pp1-5. DOI: 10.1089/omi.2011.0036
• Huzair, F., and Robbins, P.T. (2008) ‘Life Sciences Innovation in Central and Eastern Europe: conceptual frameworks and contributions’ Studies in Ethics, Law and Technology, Vol 2, Issue 2, pp.1-20. DOI: 10.2202/1941-6008.1053. Available at: http://www.bepress.com/selt/vol2/iss2/art1
• Huzair, F. (2008) Innovative Potential in Hungarian Agricultural Biotechnology and the Evolution of Networks. Studies in Ethics, Law and Technology, Vol 2, Issue 2, pp.1-22. DOI 10.2202/1941-6008.1051. Available at: http://www.bepress.com/selt/vol2/iss2/art3
• Robbins, P.T. and Huzair, F. (2008) Innovation in Central and Eastern Europe: An Editorial. Studies in Ethics, Law and Technology, Vol 2, Issue 2, pp.1-3. DOI: 10.2202/1941-6008.1058. Available at: http://www.bepress.com/selt/vol2/iss2/art7
Topics interested in supervising
Governance and Innovation in the life sciences
If you are interested in being supervised by Farah Huzair, please see the links below for more information: