- Dr Eleanor Brooks
- Lecturer in Global Health Policy
- 3.27 Chrystal Macmillan Building 15a George Square Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- +44(0)131 650 4282
- Research Interests
- Global health, Global Health Policy, Global health governance, policy tools in global health governance, european public health policy, European Union, Europeanization, European Union public policy
Eleanor joined the Global Public Health Unit in November 2017, having previously held a lecturing post at Queen Mary, University of London. She is a scientific advisor to the European Public Health Alliance, Brussels and holds a UKRI Future Leaders Fellowship, studying the impact of the Better Regulation Agenda on European Union health policy. Eleanor's broader research explores the changing governance of health within the EU.
Greer and Brooks (forthcoming 2020) 'Termites of Solidarity in the House of Austerity: Undermining Fiscal Governance in the European Union' Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law.
Brooks (2018a) ‘Using the Advocacy Coalition Framework to understand EU pharmaceutical policy’ European Journal of Public Health Volume 28 (Supp3) pp. 11-14.
Brooks (2018b) ‘Hervey, T., Young, C. and Bishop, E. (eds) Research Handbook on EU health law and policy (Edward Elgar, 2017)’ Medical Law Review Volume 26(1) pp. 165-176.
Current research projects, publications and interests
- The impact of European Commission President Juncker's reforms on EU health policy
- The European Semester and how it has been used by health and social actors to undermine the EU's austerity agenda
- The European Semester as an example of experimentalist governance, comparing it to the EU Energy Union Governance Regulation
- The dismantling of EU alcohol policy
- EU Health Law and Policy: Shaping a future research agenda. Co-investigator with Dr Mary Guy (Lancaster Law School), funded by British Academy and Leverhulme Trust 2017-2019. Special issue in Health Economics, Policy and Law planned for Spring 2020. Follow @EUHLP for details
In March 2020 Eleanor was awarded a UKRI Future Leaders Fellowship. The project - Better Regulation for Better Health - will commence in November 2020 for 4 years. Further details and project updates can be found on the GHPU website: https://ghpu.sps.ed.ac.uk/eu-health-governance/
Programme Director, MSc Global Health Policy (online)
Course convenor Population Health and Health Policy and MSc work-based placement dissertation.
Teaching on Population Health and Health Policy, European Social Policy, Global and International Social Policy, Global Politics of Public Health.