- Dr Eleanor Brooks
- Career Development Fellow (Global Health)
- 3.27 Chrystal Macmillan Building 15a George Square Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- +44(0)131 650 4282
- Research Interests
- Global health, Global Health Policy, Global health governance, policy tools in global health governance, european public health policy, European Union, Europeanization, European Union public policy
Guidance and Feedback Hours
- Wednesday 16:00-17:30
Eleanor joined the Global Public Health Unit in November 2017, having previously held a lecturing post at Queen Mary, University of London. Eleanor's research focuses on European Union health policy, exploring the changing EU health agenda, the evolution of the EU's governance instruments in this area and the tensions between national and regional health governance.
Brooks (2018a) ‘Using the Advocacy Coalition Framework to understand EU pharmaceutical policy’ European Journal of Public Health Volume 28 (Supp3) pp. 11-14.
Brooks (2018b) ‘Hervey, T., Young, C. and Bishop, E. (eds) Research Handbook on EU health law and policy (Edward Elgar, 2017)’ Medical Law Review Volume 26(1) pp. 165-176.
Current research projects, publications and interests
- Co-authored article on the impact of European Commission President Juncker's reforms on EU health policy
- Co-authored article on the European Semester and how it has been used by health and social actors to undermine the EU's austerity agenda
- Co-authored article on the European Semester as an example of experimentalist governance, comparing it to the EU Energy Union Governance Regulation
- Sole-authored article on the dismantling of EU alcohol policy
- EU Health Law and Policy: Shaping a future research agenda. Co-investigator with Dr Mary Guy (Lancaster Law School), funded by British Academy and Leverhulme Trust 2017-2019. Special issue in Health Economics, Policy and Law planned for Spring 2020. Follow @EUHLP for details
- Case studies in EU Health Policy. Lead investigator in collaboration with the European Public Health Alliance.
Programme Director, MSc Global Health Policy (online)
Course convenor Population Health and Health Policy and MSc work-based placement dissertation.
Teaching on Population Health and Health Policy, European Social Policy, Global and International Social Policy, Global Politics of Public Health.