- Dr Justyna Bandola-Gill
- Research Fellow
- 2.01 22 George Square Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- Research Interests
- Sociology of Knowledge, Public policy, International Organisations, Quantification, Expertise, Research use, Evidence & experts in policy, Knowledge transfer/exchange, Research impact, Policy instruments, Social Policy, child poverty, governance, Political Sociology
PhD in Science and Technology Studies (the University of Edinburgh); MRes in Science and Technology Studies (Distinction, the University of Edinburgh); MA in Political Science (Distinction Equiv., Jagiellonian University)
Justyna is an interdisciplinary researcher working at the intersection of Science and Technology Studies and Public Policy. Her main research interests include:
- Expertise and expert knowledge;
- Knowledge politics and policies (e.g. the research impact agenda);
- Public policy design, formulation and instrumentation;
- Measurement and quantification in public policy.
Currently, Justyna is a Postdoctoral Researcher in the METRO project, where her research explores the production and governance of childhood poverty indicators by Internationational Organisations.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
Smith, K., Bandola-Gill, J., Meer, N., Stewart, E., & Watermeyer, R. The Impact Agenda: Constructing, debating and challenging the assessment of “research impact” in the UK (under contract with Policy Press, forthcoming Spring 2020).
Bandola-Gill, J. (forthcoming) Between Relevance and Excellence? Research Impact Agenda and the Production of Policy Knowledge. Science and Public Policy.
Bandola-Gill, J., & Lyall, C. (2017) Knowledge Brokers and Policy Advice in Policy Formulation. In Howlett M., Mukherjee I. (eds), Elgar Handbook of Policy Formulation, pp. 249-265. Edward Elgar Publishing.
Bandola-Gill, J. (2016) Review of Producing Health Policy. Knowledge and Knowing in Government Policy Work by Jo Maybin, Palgrave Macmillan, 2016. Evidence & Policy, 12 (3), 455-458.
Bandola-Gill, J., Brans, M., & Flinders, M. (2018) Incentives for Impact of Political Science. Report to EU COST Action ProSEPS – Professionalisation and Social Impact of European Political Science, March 2018.
Bandola-Gill, J., & Lyall, C. (2015) Interdisciplinarity Reflected in the Policy Documents of Funding Bodies of INTREPID Members. Report to EU COST Action INTREPID, November 2015.
Lyall, C., Meagher, L., Bandola, J., & Kettle, A. (2015), Interdisciplinary provision in higher education: current and future challenges. Report to Higher Education Academy, August 2015.