Skip to main content

School of Social and Political Science: Undergraduate study


Tier 4 Visas

As a Tier 4 student, the University of Edinburgh is the sponsor of your UK visa. The University has a number of legal responsibilities, including monitoring your attendance on your programme and reporting to the Home Office where:

•    you suspend your studies, transfer or withdraw from a course, or complete your studies significantly early;

•    you fail to register/enrol at the start of your course or at the two additional registration sessions each year and there is no explanation;

•    you are repeatedly absent or are absent for an extended period and are excluded from the programme due to non-attendance. This includes missing Tier 4 census points without due reason. The University must maintain a record of your attendance and the Home Office can ask to see this or request information about it at any time;

As a student with a Tier 4 visa sponsored by the University of Edinburgh, the terms of your visa require you to, (amongst others):

•    Ensure you have a correct and valid visa for studying at the University of Edinburgh, which, if a Tier 4 visa, requires that it is a visa sponsored by the University of Edinburgh;

•    Attend all of your University classes, lectures, tutorials, etc where required. This includes participating in the requirements of your course including submitting assignments, attending meetings with tutors and attending examinations . If you cannot attend due to illness, for example, you must inform your School. This includes attending Tier 4 Census sessions when required throughout the academic session.

•    Make sure that your contact details, including your address and contact numbers are up to date in your student record.

•    Make satisfactory progress on your chosen programme of studies.

•    Observe the general conditions of a Tier 4 General student visa in the UK, including studying on the programme for which your visa was issued, not overstaying the validity of your visa and complying with the work restrictions of the visa.
Please note that any email relating to your Tier 4 sponsorship, including census dates and times will be sent to your University email address - you should therefore check this regularly.

Further details regarding your Tier 4 visa can be found at a series of pages prepared by the university.

Information or advice about your Tier 4 immigration status can be obtained by contacting the International Student Advisory Service, located at:

Edinburgh Global
33 Buccleuch Place
Edinburgh EH8 9JS

Edinburh Students