Year 1 and 2
These are your 'pre-Honours' years and we offer a broad social sciences foundation upon which build your professional development in the final two Honours years studies. In your first two years you will be offered a broad introduction to social work as it is organised and practised. You will be introduced to key landmarks in the development of social work and the policy and legal frameworks in which social workers practise. The field of practice is set in its wider socio-economic, political and policy context.
Pre-Honours Handbook: BSc Social Work pre-Honours Handbook 2019-20
The social work programme requires that you undertake six specified courses in the first two years - three of which provide you with a social policy-related understanding of social work's wider context. These courses are undertaken alongside another six that you will choose in consultation with your Personal Tutor. The six specified courses are:
- Social Work: Making a Difference
- From Research into Practice: Landmarks in Social Work Research
- Social Policy and Society
- Politics of the Welfare State
- Other outside courses at SQF Level 8 to a total of 40 credits
- Social Work: Policy & Legal Frameworks
- Social and Political Enquiry
- Other outside courses at SQF Level 8 to a total of 80 credits
There are specific criteria which must be met to allow progression into Year 3. Please see the Progression Handbook for details.