This page explains how undergraduate students can submit an extension request for course work.
Please read all the guidance below in full. Failure to complete the extension request form correctly may result in the request not being assessed. The link at the bottom of this page will take you to our extension request site, where you will be able to access the form.
- If you have good reason for not meeting a coursework deadline, you may request an extension. Extensions are granted for up to 7 calendar days and all work is due in by 12 noon on the day of the extended deadline. Students are encouraged to submit their work as soon as possible before the extended deadline. Examples of valid grounds to request an extension as well as examples of circumstances that are unlikely to be considered grounds for an extension can be seen here.
- Please aim to have your extension request submitted at least 24 hours before the coursework deadline. You must submit your extension request before your original coursework submission deadline has passed. Any extensions requests received after the original course work submission deadline (as advertised in the course handbook) will be declined. If you miss the deadline for requesting an extension, you should submit your coursework as soon as you are able, and apply for Special Circumstances. You should also contact your Student Support Officer or Personal Tutor and make them aware of your situation.
- If you have a valid reason and require more than 7 days, then you should submit your coursework as soon as you are able, and apply for Special Circumstances for the late submission. You should also contact your Student Support Officer or Personal Tutor and make them aware of your situation.
- If you have a Learning Profile from the Disability Service allowing you potential for flexibility over deadlines, you must still make an extension request for this to be taken into account.
- You must complete the form for EACH course for which you are requesting an extension.
- Please provide us with as much detail as possible when giving a reason for your extension request. One word explanations are unlikely to be sufficient for us to approve an extension request.
- The form will allow you to include any evidence you wish to submit as an attachment.
- Extension requests can take up to 7 working days after the coursework submission deadline has passed to be approved. We will contact you to let you know the outcome of your extension request as soon as possible.
- Students who have received confirmation from the Student Support Officer that their extension has been approved for an assignment should disregard any late notifications on ELMA. Your work will not receive a lateness penalty providing it has been submitted by your new extended deadline. Any penalties applied to your work will be clearly shown on your assignment feedback sheet.
Please note, the extension request form works best using Firefox or Internet Explorer.
If you are having any difficulties, please contact the relevant SPS Student Support Officer. You will find their contact details here