Masters Student Initiative Grant
Want to set up a conference? Invite a speaker that you are interested in hearing? Hold a writing retreat? Have a collaborative exchange with another School?
If so, perhaps you could apply for our Masters Student Initiative Grants.
The Graduate School has grants of up to £500 each, available for MSc Taught students wanting to set up and organise special initiatives. Students can suggest anything they like under the condition that:
- any proposed activities and events are only open to SPS students;
- the activity is not part of core study programme or funded by other grants;
- the activity is not normally expected to be self-funded (e.g. travel related to the MSc IEP/IR Brussels trip).
In the past, students have successfully proposed:
- Conferences - using the grant for logistics, catering, pay for speakers, etc
- Writing and research retreats - to fund residential events focused around writing and research themes
- Collaboration and networking with other disciplines, such as History, Business Studies and Art and Design.
- Pecha Kucha and TEDx events
- Film screenings
- Setting up a study group
- Participation in conferences – presenting papers at conferences, organising panels (participation needs to be active not just attendance)
We favour group initiatives over individual ones, although can support the latter if funding allows.
Students interested in applying for this grant please send a proposal outlining the project (leaders, purpose, details of the activity, target audience, itemised budget and total amount requested) of no more than one page A4 to Gillian MacDonald and Jeevan Sharma.
Funding for eligible initiatives will be disbursed on a first come, first serve basis. Recipients of a grant are expected to produce a short report of the activity no later than one month after the Initiative finished.
Application dates for the 2016/17 session will be announced shortly