We welcome a wide range of academic visitors each year. Please make sure you keep up to date with Covid-19 information related to any potential visit.
For visits to the University of Edinburgh's School of Social and Political Science that will require access to our resources, you will need to have Visitor status. To be considered, you must first identify and contact an academic within the School who will support and sponsor your application. We cannot consider your application unless you are successful in finding an academic within the School to facilitate the visit.
Please note that academic visitors to the School are self funded; the School does not offer any financial support. We are not able to offer advice regarding visas or other aspects of spending time living in Edinburgh.
If the academic member of staff wants to go ahead with the application, you will need to complete a nomination form, supply a short (two-page) CV and submit to the host academic member of staff. Applications will be considered by the subject area and School Office, and you will be contacted directly by your host if you are successful.
Nomination for Visitor form (Word doc.)
Expectations and arrangements
If we do accept you, you can expect that normally we will provide you with:
- full access to library resources including e-resources
- full access to IT facilities, using a login and password
- induction and orientation when you arrive, including health and safety
- a research mentor (your host academic) who will act as your main point of contact for planning your visit and throughout your time with us, and whom you can expect to see regularly for discussion
- access to research activities such as attendance at research seminars and other research training
- on request, a formal letter of invitation to present to your institution once you are accepted as a visitor, and a letter at the end of your time here confirming your contribution
In turn we will expect you to:
- abide by the School’s procedures, especially those to do with ethical research conduct, copyright and the appropriate use of the SPS facilities
- acknowledge SPS appropriately in any publications which arise from the period of your visit to us
- contribute positively to the research culture and life of the School and any research group or centre to which you are attached during your visit
Examples of such a positive contribution that past visiting scholars have offered are: research seminars and blogs; a PhD masterclass; media and knowledge exchange work; articles for student magazines and journals; and contributions to the School’s practice programme.