- Do I need to attend all of the Input Sessions?
Yes, the input sessions are an essential part of the Award structure. You must attend all three input sessions to complete the Award. If you have a good reason why you cannot attend, we can consider alternative arrangements.
- I can't complete the Award this year. Is it going to show on my transcript?
No, it will not show on your transcript and no one will know you did not complete. Even if you do not complete the Award, you will have attended many development sessions and you can still use these on your CV.
- Can I attend workshops from outside the School?
Yes, but a minimum of 14 of your 20 hours must be from workshops run by the Student Development Office. The remaining 6 hours can be from sessions delivered by other departments in the University, this includes resources such as LinkedIn Learn. You will need to send us evidence of your attendance at those sessions.
- Can I attend workshops from other organisations outside of the University?
No, your professional development skill sessions should be hosted by the University of Edinburgh. You can still attend workshops from other organisations, but they will not count towards the Award.
- How can I find out how many skills hours I have?
Email the Student Development Office for confirmation of the number of hours you have completed. It is recommended that you use your reflective journal to track your sessions, especially if you attend workshops from other providers.
- Can I get a certificate for the sessions I attended?
Yes, we can provide these upon request.
- I did some professional development workshops last year. Can I count these toward the Award?
No, only skills workshops completed during the Award will be counted.
- I can't make a session I signed up for. What should I do?
Please cancel your place via the online booking system or email to let us know that you cannot attend. Many of our workshops become full quite quickly and by cancelling your place you will allow another student to benefit from the training.
If you continually fail to attend sessions without cancellation, you may not be allowed to sign up for later workshops.
- What happens if I don't attend enough sessions?
If you are unable to attend enough skills training sessions, you will be withdrawn from the Award.
- What should I do for my impact project?
The type of impact activity you complete will depend on which Award you register on. As the impact activity will require at least 30 hours of work to complete, it should be something you are interested in and feel happy working on for an extended period of time.
- Can you help fund my impact activity?
We have a limited budget available to support events. Other sources of funding include the Graduate School (for postgraduate students).
- I am doing another Award outside SSPS. Can I use the same project for both of the Awards?
No, you must complete a unique project for each Award. The Careers Service monitor Award activity and records will identify if you submit the same project more than once. You must also attend all the input sessions specific to each Award on which you are registered.
- Can I count my Placement-Based Dissertation toward the impact part of my Award?
Yes, your Placement-Based Dissertation will count as your full 30 hours of impact activity.
- I volunteer at a charity shop. Can I use that activity for my Award?
No, only activities which feature a knowledge exchange component can be accepted for the Award.