The main role of the Boards of Studies are to consider:
- proposals for new courses, programmes and awards
- changes to existing courses, programme and awards
- closure of exitings courses programmes or awards
- teaching, learning, and assessment methologies and practice
The terms of reference for Boards of Studies can be found on the Academic Services webpage.
Meeting dates 2021-22
Papers are due to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org two weeks in advance.
Core Membership 2020-21 (TBC for 2021-22)
- Professor Richard Baxstrom (Deputy Head of School and Director of Learning and Teaching)
- Dr Steve Kirkwood (Director of Postgraduate Research Programmes)
- Dr Kate Wright (Director of Postgraduate Taught Programmes)
- Dr Meryl Kenny (Deputy Director of Learning and Teaching)
- Ms Marie Craft (Head of Teaching and Student Services)
- Mrs Karen Marriot (Teaching Services Manager)
Subect Area/Cluster Representatives
- Dr Sam Spiegel (Centre for African Studies)
- Dr Juli Huang(Social Anthropology)
- Dr George Palattiyil (Social Work )
- Dr Angus Bancroft (Sociology )
- Dr Morgan Currie (Science, Technology and Innovation Studies)
- Dr Stephen Hill (Politics and International Relations)
- Dr Jay Wiggan (Social Policy)
- Dr Emily Adrion (GHPU)
- A representative from the Learning Technology Team
- A representative from the Library Services
We also invite the Edinburgh University Students' Association PG School Rep to attend.
The Secretary to the Board of Studies is Cristyn King, email@example.com
Proposing a new postgraduate course, or proposing changes to a current postgraduate course?
Please complete the relevant form below. Proposals should be discussed within the relevant Subject Area/Centre before being submitted, and should be presented by at the Board of Studies by the Course Organiser, or by the Subject Area/Centre Representative. The Board may request further clarification or amendment.
New Course Proposal Form (Word document download, 60KB)
Course Change Proposal Form (Word document download, 25 KB)
If you have any questions relating to the submission of course proposals, please contact the Secretary to the Board – firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Programmes – guidance on what is needed when proposing a new MSc programme, including documents, timescales, advice, and the approvals process
- Existing Programmes Major Changes Form – needs to be completed if you are planning substantial changes to an existing MSc programme. Please check with the Secretary to the Board – email@example.com.