The deadline for applications is 15 March 2021. The deadline for both references to be received by the College is 17 March 2021.
The University of Edinburgh is offering studentships for PhD applicants in the field of European Studies for September 2021 entry.
The PhD project must relate to one of the three topics specified for the University of Edinburgh – KU Leuven PhD Studentship programme. The PhD projects will be co-supervised by expert academics at the University of Edinburgh and the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
The three available topics are:
- Politics of European Union External Relations - Supervisors: Dr Chad Damro (UoE), Dr Edith Drieskens (KUL)
- Law and the European Union Internal Market - Supervisors: Prof Niamh Nic Shuibhne (UoE), Prof Wouter Devroe (KUL)
- Identity and the European Union - Supervisors: Prof Laura Cram (UoE), Marc Hooghe (KUL)
A maximum of three awards will be offered. The successful applicant will be awarded a 4-year studentship, which includes full tuition fees, a stipend and provision of research costs.
The studentship will be awarded competitively and is open to UK, EU and overseas students applying to start their PhD programme of study in 2021-22.
All applicants should hold at least a UK 2:1 honours degree or its international equivalent, and a UK masters degree with an overall mark of 65% or its international equivalent.
English Language requirements
All non-UK candidates whose first language is not English must provide a certificate of proficiency in the English Language before they are able to matriculate at the University of Edinburgh.
Please note that if applicants cannot demonstrate that English language requirements have been met at the point of application, the English requirement will be part of any admission offer made.
- Application deadline
15 March 2021. The deadline for both references to be received by the College is 17 March 2021.
- Application process
Applicants are required to provide the following information saved WITHIN ONE PDF FILE.
- Research proposal (2-4 pages) that outlines their research interests and their reasons for applying for one of the specified topics (i.e., external relations, law or identity)
- Academic CV
- Degree transcripts (translations should be provided if the originals are not in English)
Applicants wishing to apply for more than one topic must submit a PDF file, for each topic. Where information is missing, the application may not be considered.
The PDF file should be emailed to the following address by the application deadline of 15 March 2021 - email@example.com.
The subject line of your email must include 'European Studies Application' and the name of the topic to which you are applying.
- 'European Studies Application - External Relations'
- 'European Studies Application - Law' or;
- 'European Studies Application - Identity'.
Two signed referee letters of reference must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 17 March 2021. Candidates are required to submit at least 1 academic reference. The second reference may be academic or professional. We may not consider your application complete unless these references are received by the reference deadline.
- Further Information
Queries regarding the available projects should be directed to:
Dr Chad Damro (Politics & International Relations) – email@example.com.
General enquiries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.