School of Social and Political Science

Frequently asked questions


Please see below the most frequently asked questions. For more information not listed here, please email us at

What are your application deadlines?

Please see the Taught Programme page for the programme you are interested in for information on application deadlines. Deadlines can vary depending on the programme.

What is the minimum qualification required?

Minimum entry requirements are listed in the Degree Finder against each programme. Please note as each application is reviewed in a holistic manner, if you have not exactly met our requirements, we would still encourage you to apply in order for us to review your suitability to the programme.

How can I attach documents to my application after submitting?

For details on uploading documents after submission, please see the EUCLID help page.

I can't upload a document to my application.

The file size limit for all documents is 2MB. If your document meets both of these requirements, please refer to the EUCLID website for further assistance.

I am currently an Undergraduate student, can I apply before I've completed?

Yes. Please provide an official, interim transcript for your current studies. This should include your current average score. This will give us an indication of your current performance.  If we are able to make an offer, it will be conditional on completion.

I am a current postgraduate student and won't graduate until after the programme start date, can I still apply?

Yes. Please provide an official, interim transcript for your current studies. This should include your current average score. If an offer were to be made to you, it would be conditional on completion.

Can I apply without evidence of English?

We do not require evidence of English in order to assess your application. However, if an offer can be made, submitting evidence of English will be needed.

How do I pay the application fee?

Please see the application fee information page.

Do you need translations of my documents?

Please see the Supporting Documents section on our how to apply page.

Which programmes require references?

Please see the how to apply page for details on references or refer to the programme’s page.

I've submitted a document but you're asking for it again, why?

Please carefully read the clearance check that was sent to ensure you have provided exactly what was asked for. If you are still unclear on what has been requested, please contact us at

Do you have a supervisor for my research topic?

Please study our PhD webpages in order to determine the subject area which closely fits with your research, and contact the relevant Adviser who will be happy to guide you.

How do I obtain a visa?

All visa/immigration queries should be directed to Edinburgh Global

When will I received my CAS letter?

Confirmation of Acceptance (CAS) letters must be requested via your EUCLID portal once you have accepted an unconditional offer. For more details, please see requesting a CAS.

How do I arrange accommodation?

Please contact Accommodation Services.

How/when do I pay tuition fees?

Information about how to pay fees can be found on the tuition fees site.

Do I have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge

The Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) has been introduced to help fund the National Health Service (NHS), and will give overseas students the same access to the NHS as UK citizens. Please see New Health Surcharge for details.