Professional Development Certificates recognise attendance at Student Development Office (SDO) skills development workshops, but require a shorter time commitment than the Edinburgh Professional Development Award.
All SDO workshops will be delivered online.
- What is the Professional Development Certificate?
You can start the Professional Development Certificate at any time during the academic year.
This opportunity is exclusive to School of Social and Political Science (SSPS) students only. You can be at any level of study from undergraduate to PhD, to participate.
Three levels of Certificate are available.
- Complete 12 hours of skills workshops
- 3 hours individual skills reflection (15 minutes per workshop attended)
- Complete 16 hours of skills workshops
- 4 hours individual skills reflection (15 minutes per workshop attended)
- Complete 20 hours of skills workshops
- 5 hours individual skills reflection (15 minutes per workshop attended)
- How to Enrol on the Certificate
To enrol on the Certificate you must:
- Review the Graduate Attributes
Graduate Attributes (PDF)
- Complete the Graduate Attributes Analysis Survey
- Attend workshops between October and March
Receiving your Certificate
At the end of Semester 2, the Student Development Office (SDO) will send you details of the final reflective submission.
This requires you to complete a 500-word reflective summary of your skills development over the course of the Certificate. Once submitted and reviewed you will receive confirmation of your Certificate.
- Available Support
Book a one-to-one appointment
You can book a 15 minute appointment to talk about your progress and any questions you may have.
Email SDO staff
You can email the Student Development Office (SDO) to get an update on your workshop hours at any time.
- Additional Useful Information
How do I track my hours?
Use a spreadsheet, notebook or document. The SDO track them too, so we can check the number of hours we have recorded.
How do I cancel my place on a workshop?
Please cancel your place via the online booking system or email the SDO to let us know that you aren't able to attend. By cancelling your place, you will allow another student to benefit from the training.
If you continually fail to attend sessions without cancellation, you may not be allowed to register for future workshops.
What happens if I don’t attend enough sessions?
If you are unable to attend enough skills training sessions, you will be withdrawn from the Award.