School of Social and Political Science

Student support


Your supervisors

Apart from their more strictly academic duties, your supervisors are available as a first line of support and advice for any academic or personal issues which may arise whilst you are studying here.

You are encouraged to inform your supervisor immediately of any problems which are interfering with your studies.

If you are unable to or wish not to discuss issues with your supervisor you can contact the postgraduate advisor for your subject area or the Graduate School Director (PGR).

The Graduate School Office is also available to answer any questions of a practical or administrative nature. If you do not know who your postgraduate advisor is please ask the Graduate School Office.

If you have concerns and are not sure who to ask for help, please feel free to contact the Graduate School Office, who should be able to help or direct you to the most appropriate person/department.

Any enquiry will be treated in confidence.

Email the Graduate School Office


Interruption of Studies

If necessary, and in discussion and agreement with you, your supervisor and/or postgraduate advisor can arrange an Interruption of Studies for you. This is time off from your degree, during which you continue to be registered as a student at Edinburgh but are not expected to work on your degree.

Extension of Studies

You can also arrange for an Extension of Studies (an extension to your period of study).

These are collectively known as concessions.

It may also be possible for you to change from full to part time study. However, this is not possible for students who are here on a Tier 4 visa, as this visa only sponsors full time study.

International students must check the impact of any interruption or extensions on their visa. The Student Immigration Service can advise on this.

Please note: it is not possible for interruptions or extensions of study to be approved retrospectively, so you should ensure you report any problems or difficulties to your supervisor as soon as you can.

More information on concessions


Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we regret that the Summer 2021 graduation ceremonies  will not be running. 

Your degree will be conferred by the School's Board of Examiners and the result communicated to you via MyEd.

Graduations are handled by Student Administration. Information and guidance can be found on the Student Administration Graduation pages but for any other enquiries, please contact Student Administration directly.

Information on future graduation ceremonies

Student category
PhD Students