School of Social and Political Science

Visiting students


If you are interested in becoming a visiting or exchange student (i.e. taking courses for credit) at the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, please see the Visiting Student Office for further information.

Visiting Research Students

A visiting research student is someone who is currently enrolled in a research programme at another institution, but who is conducting research at the University of Edinburgh for a period of between one month and one year. They will not graduate from the University of Edinburgh, and will return to their home institution following the defined period of research.

Research students interested in conducting research at the School of Social and Political Science must first have support from a supervisor within the School.  Please see our Staff Pages to help identify an academic with research interests related to your own and contact them ahead of submitting an application. 

For information on entry requirements, application process, fees, and contact details, please see the Visiting Student Office website.
Visiting Taught Students

Please note that we are not able to offer a visiting student option for current taught master’s students unless there is a pre-arranged agreement between your home institution and the University of Edinburgh to this effect. It is not possible to attend the Graduate School of Social and Political Science as a study abroad option.


Information about fees for postgraduate visiting students can be found on the Scholarships and Student Funding website.

For further information about tuition fees, please contact the University’s fees team:

Evidence of English

As all students must be able to read textbooks, understand lectures, take part in classroom discussions and undertake written work in English, proof of academic-level English is required of all applicants.  

Please follow the guidance and links to further information here.