Wellcome Trust Research Fellowships
Wellcome Trust Research Fellowships - Humanities and Social Science
This scheme supports humanities and social science scholars at all stages of their career but not in an established academic post, who wish to undertake a period of research in any area of human and animal health. Strong preference is given to applicants with a good prospect of achieving an academic career in the field.
The maximum duration is three years full-time equivalent. The awards are full-time but may be awarded on a part-time basis if a case can be made that personal circumstances require this. Fellowships provide research expenses and a salary.
SPS requires a mentor (SPS core staff) for all early-career fellowships. In order to apply, you must first identify, contact and have an agreed mentor for your proposed project application. The project must have Head of Subject Area approval, your mentor can help to obtain this before submitting your application to the School.
June 2021 round
- 3 May 2021: finished draft preliminary application to SPS Research Office - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please get in touch with the RO as soon as you know you would like to apply for this round, and we will give you information on how to proceed using the Wellcome Trust grant management system
- Detailed budget information is required for the preliminary application. You will need to liaise with SPS RO on the development of your budget at least four weeks before above date.
- 9 June 2021: Submission before Wellcome preliminary application deadline on 16 June 2021, 17:00 GMT (please ensure you are in email contact in the days coming up to the deadline) to allow for approval and review by RO
- 28 July 2021: (Date TBA): for those invited by Wellcome Trust to proceed to full application, final draft application due to SPS RO
- 24 August 2021: full application deadline, 17:00 GMT (submission to funder by University)
- November 2021: Wellcome Trust shortlisting
- January 2022: Wellcome Trust interviews
Wellcome has been reviewing its grant funding schemes and this will be the last call to this scheme in its current form. However a new simplified set of funding schemes will be open for applications in summer 2021 (TBA).
What The Wellcome Trust is looking for:
- the significance and originality of your proposed research
- the suitability and relevance of your approach to your research topic
- your previous research contributions eg publications, conference papers, public engagement and policy-related work
- the suitability of the host organisation for your research and for developing your independent career
Please get in touch with the Research Office for further information.